Senior Officer, Refugee Resettlement and Asylum Policy and Advocacy
Requisition ID: req9722
Job Title: Senior Officer, Refugee Resettlement and Asylum Policy and Advocacy
Sector: Advocacy & Government Affairs
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Washington DC, USA
The Senior Officer plays a critical role on the Refugee Resettlement & Asylum Policy and Advocacy team, playing a key role in the development and implementation of the Congressional and Administrative advocacy strategies, including but not limited to, developing strategic content to advance IRC’s strategic objectives and leading and developing Congressional strategy. This position reports to the Senior Director of the Refugee Resettlement and Asylum Policy and Advocacy team.
- Play a senior role in the development and implementation of the Congressional strategy for resettlement, asylum and integration policy, including cultivating new champions of U.S. resettlement on the Hill; creating opportunities for IRC leaders to demonstrate thought-leadership in relevant fora with members of Congress; and ensuring responsiveness to congressional information needs.
- Support and assist in the development of a comprehensive strategy to protect and support refugee admissions, integration, and asylum and support work on other critical protection pathways, including SIV, TPS, parole, etc.
- Support the Senior Director in developing an IRC-wide approach—and one IRC voice—on global protection pathways (resettlement, asylum, etc.) and IRC’s response to attacks on protection pathways for vulnerable populations.
- Support the Senior Director in developing IRC-wide messaging and positions and provide guidance on influencing strategies on global resettlement and protection issues.
- Create strategic advocacy content and tools in response to current political environment and news.
- Represent the IRC through engagement with members of Congress and their staff, and with key Administration officials including at the State Department and Department of Defense.
- Represent IRC at RCUSA Advocacy Committee and other coalitions and generate strong partnerships to further IRC’s advocacy objectives.
- Ensure routine coordination with relevant internal stakeholders, including Global Advocacy, Programs and Europe colleagues to ensure one-IRC voice and coherent approach to refugee resettlement and other cross-cutting issues.
- Work closely with Senior Director to ensure close coordination with the Communications team to promote the integrity of published content and advocacy messaging.
- Graduate degree preferred in relevant field such as Public Policy, Law or International Relations, or equivalent qualifications/experience in a relevant field
- Six to eight years’ combined experience interacting with government officials, elected officials and their staffers at the federal level, and proven experience implementing successful influencing strategies
- Experience working on refugee resettlement and asylum policy issues, and the U.S. refugee admissions program in particular, with experience with these issues in a congressional office a plus.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Proven political judgment, and detailed knowledge of the workings of the federal government (Administration and U.S. Congress)
- Knowledge of the U.S. resettlement program within the wider U.S. refugee protection and immigration system
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to translate complex material and data into coherent narratives
- Ability to communicate and represent the IRC effectively with external stakeholders
- Strong public speaking, presentation, networking and training/capacity-building skills
- Ability to travel and to work on tight deadlines
- Initiative and ability to work independently on fast-paced issues
- Ability to demonstrate leadership capacity within the Policy and Advocacy team while also able to work in a support/advisory capacity and quickly form effective working relationships to deliver results
- Commitment to the IRC’s vision, missions and values
Language Skills: No requirement.
Working Environment: Standard office work environment. Up to 20% travel required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-21