Senior Policy Advisor, Economic Policy Project
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest
Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert
research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based
organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels.
For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking
common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community
stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook,
Instagram, and Twitter.
UnidosUS’s Policy and Advocacy component is one of the most influential and visible national
advocacy think tanks championing public policy on behalf of Latinos. The Senior Policy Advisor
for the Economic Policy Project is a subject matter expert in the area of social security,
retirement/financial savings, portable retirement savings such as CALSavers, and social
insurance programs such as disability and SSI. This person will work to increase financial
security and wealth-building opportunities for Latino families. They will also have in-depth
knowledge of federal and state level policy related to these issue areas and bring substantive
expertise to UnidosUS’s work on economic policy.
Responsibilities include leading research, writing, and public appearances in rapid-response and
long-term analysis of data and programs, as well as producing high-quality and compelling
written products such as policy papers, testimony, and reports. Success in this role requires a
high degree of skill in analysis of social, economic, and public policy trends, as well as strong
data analysis and visualization, flexibility, and collaboration with colleagues and external
partners. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy and
is based in Washington, DC.
• Evaluate and analyze relevant economic public policies that affect the Latino community
and advance racial equity.
• Serve as UnidosUS’s institutional expert and advise senior leadership on federal social
insurance programs, specifically those relevant to providing financial security and
building retirement savings and wealth, specializing in non-English speakers and
• Lead and collaborate on policy publications including issue briefs, white papers,
conference papers, presentations, and testimony.
• Lead and participate in coalitions of experts and advocates on economic issues.
• Represent UnidosUS in high-visibility forums, including delivering presentations and
testimony before congressional staff, policymakers, issue experts and stakeholders,
national conferences, and the media.
• Build and deepen relationships with relevant federal policymakers.
• Provide strategic recommendations, as appropriate, to UnidosUS leadership, including
the president and CEO and the Board of Directors.
• Bachelor’s degree required, and master’s degree preferred in relevant field of
economics, statistics, or public policy.
• Seven (7) to ten (10) years of applicable experience conducting research and/or policy
• Demonstrated experience in statistical, quantitative analysis, and data visualization.
• In-depth experience communicating and presenting on public policy issues in policy
• Demonstrated expertise with U.S. government programs focused on social insurance,
retirement, and wealth-building.
• Robust experience in conducting and publishing policy analysis or research design and
• Extensive and strong writing ability, including developing and writing articles, studies,
reports, or other publicly available documents is required.
• Experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as coalition meetings,
congressional briefings, major conferences, and with the media.
• Experience working for a nonprofit organization or on Capitol Hill a plus.
• Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values
(Excellence, Accountability, Respeto).
• Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit organizations, and the Latino
market a plus.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to design and conduct quantitative analysis to examine work environment with
multiple ongoing responsibilities, tight deadlines, and expectations for high-quality
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365,
statistical software, and data sources.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion
of a background screen.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will
be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RESUME AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: Senior Policy Advisor, Economic Policy Project
Attn: Senior Vice President, Policy and Advocacy
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without
regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political
affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2021-07-23