Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Policy Advisor for Industry, Climate & Energy
Third Way’s Climate and Energy Program is seeking a Senior Policy Advisor to oversee our industrial portfolio. This person will lead our team’s education and advocacy efforts on industrial sector decarbonization and oversee our work on clean energy manufacturing and supply chains. This includes identifying policies that can accelerate our transition to a net-zero emissions economy by mid-century and communicating those policy needs to key external stakeholders – including but not limited to Congressional and relevant federal agency staff. In order for the US to meet its climate goals and remain economically competitive, it needs to continue building out industrial capacity to support growing clean energy industries. The Senior Policy Advisor will lead research and education efforts to inform policy recommendations on how to decarbonize and strengthen the industrial sector through procurement policy, trade measures, investments, and incentives.
As the Senior Policy Advisor for Industry, a typical day might include…
- Conducting and overseeing in-depth research on policies to decarbonize target industrial sectors, with a particular focus on iron and steel;
- Collaborating with other NGOs and partners from the labor, industry, and academic communities to identify policy needs and design proposals to meet those needs;
- Communicating with policymakers from across the federal government (e.g., Congressional offices, relevant federal agencies) to stay current on policy developments, advocate for solutions to mitigate industrial emissions, and advise on effective policy implementation;
- Collaborating with colleagues across the Climate and Energy Program to ensure policy proposals, products, and advocacy plans are coordinated for maximum impact;
- Managing contracts with policy research and government affairs consultants;
- Developing reports, memos, op-eds and other written materials to educate key stakeholders both inside and outside of the federal government;
- Representing Third Way in relevant meetings, working groups, and public speaking engagements; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in industrial sector climate policy and working familiarity with embodied carbon and relevant policies (e.g., Buy Clean procurement, carbon border adjustment);
- Have experience directly engaging with manufacturers or trade associations representing heavy industries;
- Have a demonstrated ability to write clearly on complex topics for an audience of non-experts;
- Are self-starting and able to work independently to identify opportunities to advance Third Way’s climate and energy goals;
- Are committed to the mission of Third Way’s Climate and Energy Program, reaching net-zero emissions by midcentury in the fastest, fairest way possible; and
- Have experience with public advocacy, including through public presentations, briefings, and press engagement;
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who foster divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Third Way is committed to the health, safety and wellness of all employees, candidates, stakeholders, and communities. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 full vaccination. Proof of full vaccination status will be required after an offer of employment is extended and accepted. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the start date will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Third Way offers a flexible, hybrid work environment to support our employees’ healthy work\life balance.
Job posted: 2023-08-31