Senior Policy Analyst
Assist the Pipeline Director in developing pipeline business, technical and operational input, guidance, and priorities to advance Midstream and API advocacy on the importance of safety, security, environment and energy infrastructure benefits with pipelines and ensure alignment with member company business needs. Provide technical and administrative services for the pipeline segment by staffing Policy Groups and standards development processes in support of the Midstream segment and joint trade association safety initiatives and priorities. Actively communicate and collaborate throughout the organization (e.g. communications, federal and state government relations, legal, and economics departments) to develop and implement policy strategies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and communicate pipeline business, technical and operational input, best practices, guidance and priorities on legislative, regulatory and government policy related activities around pipeline safety, security and environment particularly in relation to the oversight of natural gas gathering systems and transmission pipeline (oil and natural gas) research activities.
- Develop and implement strategies that advance public policy and operational objectives established by multiple pipeline-focused committees. Assist committee safety policy group chairs in conducting meetings and actively participate in committee group discussions. Identify and develop consensus approaches, provide leadership, and bring issues and projects to resolution
- Develop and manage responses to regulatory and legislative initiatives affecting member companies.
- Represent API at meetings with industry, government agencies, and trade groups, to advocate for industry policies.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with appropriate internal staff and external contacts including, but not limited to member company representatives, consultants, coalition/trade association partners, and government agencies.
- Manage consultant and research work done on behalf of the member companies and ensure that positions are reflected in API advocacy efforts at both the federal and state levels.
- Respond to member company inquiries on issue of relevance.
- Develop and manage talking points and advocacy materials around significant legislative, regulatory, and government policy actions, source content for blog posts, review and update infrastructure websites and other midstream materials.
- Responsible for all aspects of contract management for assigned and committee policy group-based projects and support the development of annual resource and budget build-out for pipeline activities.
- Manage salient issues and assist with special projects as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY AND KEY RELATIONSHIPS
Under the direction of the Pipeline Director, effectively interact with and provide leadership to policy group members and work with other API staff to achieve Pipeline program objectives. Coordinate advocacy efforts and develop consensus with other API departments and other trade associations on pipeline issues, activities and projects. Coordinate advocacy efforts and develop consensus with other API departments and teams and trade associations on midstream issues, activities and projects. Work with regional/state offices and federal agency personnel having regulatory oversight for oil and natural gas transmission pipelines and natural gas gathering lines under PHMSA jurisdiction. Engage and advocate with federal agency personnel having regulatory oversight for the safety of the pipeline industry.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- B.S. or B.A. in engineering or a related scientific/technical discipline with 3-5 or more years of petroleum industry (or related process industry, agency, or trade association) work experience
- Knowledge of federal and/or state regulations that impact liquid and/or natural gas gathering systems and/or transmission pipelines is a strongly desired.
- Experience with natural gas and/or liquid pipeline operations or associated operations and/or engineering is strongly desired.
- Initiative and ability to work both independently and collegially with others are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are required. Experience in using IT based tools (MS Office, net-meetings, e-conferencing, e-document management) desirable.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-17