Senior Policy Analyst, Health Policy
POSITION: Senior Policy Analyst, Health Policy OPEN: Immediately
LOCATION: Washington, DC CLOSE: Until filled
CONTACT: Senior Vice President, Policy and Advocacy SALARY: Commensurate
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest
Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert
research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based
organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels.
For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking
common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community
stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook,
Instagram, and Twitter.
The Senior Policy Analyst, Health Policy, will help develop strategy and execute a policy agenda
that increases opportunities for Latino children and their families to be healthy and thrive,
providing skilled analysis of health policy trends in support of UnidosUS’s goals. This position is
responsible for identifying promising ideas and solutions, primarily in the areas of nutrition and
food security. This person will work with colleagues to plan and conduct rapid-response and
long-term analyses of data, policies, and emerging issues.
The Senior Policy Analyst will write policy papers, issue briefs, and congressional testimony in a
variety of lengths and formats for diverse audiences. This position may also be responsible for
convening an effective network of civil rights organizations, community leaders, researchers,
and policymakers to effectively frame a federal health policy agenda that invests in the future
and targets policy solutions to the most vulnerable in our society including children, lowincome communities, and immigrants. Success in this role also requires the Senior Policy
Analyst to collaborate with colleagues in multiple internal disciplines, including
communications, civic engagement, and legislative affairs. This position reports directly to the
Director of Health Policy and is based in Washington, DC.
• Develop and execute a project plan and agenda for evaluating and analyzing relevant
nutrition policies that affect the Latino community.
• Analyze emerging public policy issues and trends and produce UnidosUS policy
publications including issue briefs, white papers, conference papers, presentations, and
testimony, using primary and secondary research sources.
• Serve as subject matter expert on nutrition and food security policy.
• Represent UnidosUS in external-facing forums, including meetings with congressional
staff, policymakers, issue experts and stakeholders, national conferences, and the
• Lead and participate in coalitions of experts and advocates.
• Provide strategic recommendations, as appropriate, to varying levels of UnidosUS
• Bachelor’s degree required, and master’s degree in public policy, public health, or
related discipline a plus.
• Five (5) to seven (7) years of relevant experience in health policy required.
• In-depth knowledge of policy analysis, with a demonstrated ability to analyze and
produce recommendations, is required.
• Experience communicating health policy ideas in public settings such as coalition
meetings, congressional briefings, major conferences, and with the media.
• Substantive knowledge of healthy policy issues, particularly those related to nutrition
and food security, including programs like the Supplemental Nutrition and Assistance
• Experience working for a non-profit organization or on Capitol Hill a plus.
• Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values (Excellence,
• Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino
• Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and
• Ability to design and conduct quantitative analysis to examine the efficiency of existing
and/or recommended policy solutions, developing written analysis and policy
• Extensive and strong writing ability, including developing and writing issue briefs,
reports, or other publicly available documents is required.
• Displayed commitment to social justice and health equity.
• Strong project management skills suited to a dynamic work environment with multiple
ongoing responsibilities, tight deadlines, and expectations for high-quality work.
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365, statistical
software, and data sources.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Flexibility for occasional travel.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion
of a background screen.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will
be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RÉSUMÉ, AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: Senior Policy Analyst, Health Policy
Attn: Senior Vice President, Policy and Advocacy
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without
regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political
affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2021-08-29