Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Policy Analyst, State Health Policy
Summary: Works to build the capacity of state and territorial health officials to identify, develop, and analyze evidence-based and evidence-informed policy. Works on the development of project deliverables for federally funded projects important to state health officials and agencies.
- Collects and analyzes state and territorial policies of public health significance.
- Collaborates with staff across ASTHO relating to integrated programs and activities. This collaboration could include policy research and analysis, tracking and analyzing public health policy issues, identifying and analyzing emerging public health policies and strategies, and/or developing and sharing resources for evidence-based and evidence-informed laws and policies impacting public health.
- Develops public health policy materials (e.g., briefs, blog posts, etc.).
- Responds to requests for assistance and information from members, affiliates, and national organizations.
- Serves as an information and resource on public health policy.
- Assists in the management of project activities, including meeting planning, and other administrative tasks necessary to support project deliverables.
- Provides staff support to ASTHO related projects.
- Works with national partners on related programs and activities.
- Attends meetings and calls related to public health policy.
- Bachelor’s degree with Master’s degree preferred in areas such as public health, public policy, or health administration.
- Three or more years of prior related experience.
- Knowledge of state or local public health legislative and/or policy development and analysis.
- Knowledge of state or local public health policy, injury prevention policy, or substance misuse and addiction policy preferred.
- Association or state/local government experience is a plus.
- Ability to research, track and analyze appropriate issues and legislation at federal and state levels using abstract concepts.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to exercise own judgment and occasionally consider different courses of action to get the job done.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, manage multiple priorities, and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and diplomatically with public and internal contacts.
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships and collaborative networks to coordinate ASTHO programs and activities with other staff members, government organizations and to represent ASTHO at meetings and conferences.
- Ability to travel within service area should in-person activities resume in the future.
- Knowledge of word processing applications such as MS Word, and other software applications (e.g., spreadsheet, database, desktop publishing, etc.)
About Us: ASTHO is the national nonprofit organization representing the public health agencies of the United States, the U.S. territories and Freely Associated States, and the District of Columbia, as well as the more than 100,000 public health professionals these agencies employ. ASTHO members, the chief health officials of these jurisdictions, are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy and to ensuring excellence in public health practice. ASTHO is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia with a regional office in Atlanta, GA. ASTHO was incorporated on March 23, 1942 with the goal of helping health officials navigate a rapidly changing public health landscape and remains a strong voice in governmental public health.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: ASTHO is an all-encompassing diverse and inclusive organization that respects and celebrates every person’s strengths, assets, and values, eliminating inequities and biases in all facets of activities and operations. ASTHO is committed to leading organizational change efforts that support racial healing, racial justice, and transformation within state and territorial public health agencies.
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, ASTHO accepts the responsibility to follow CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. ASTHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all ASTHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.
Job posted: 2022-01-01