Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Policy Analyst, US Regulatory Affairs
In this role you will
- Advance Vanguard’s strategic and business objectives by developing Vanguard’s advocacy approach on a broad range of policy and regulatory actions (e.g., proposed rules, guidance and other proposals).
- Lead the comment letter process by engaging subject matter experts to establish a working team, approach, and communication plan.
- Work with primary trade association partners to understand their approach and position on areas of focus.
- Partner with subject matter experts across Vanguard to assess impacts of potential policy and regulatory actions.
- Develop content and collateral for meetings with policymakers.
- Learn the US regulatory process and the regulatory framework that governs Vanguard’s activities.
Coordinate policy development
- Partner with internal SMEs across Policy, Legal, and Compliance to assess impacts of potential policy and regulatory actions (e.g., regulations related to antitrust, ESG or advice policy).
- Lead working teams that determine Vanguard’s positions and advocacy strategy for regulations affecting the firm.
- Manage the comment letter process by engaging subject matter owner to establish a working team, approach, and communication plan.
- Create a project plan with milestones and critical activities to meet letter submission deadline.
- Develop engagement strategy with business partners and stakeholders to ensure proper awareness of comment letter developments, positions and messaging consistency.
- Work with primary trade association partners (e.g., ICI, SIFMA) to understand their approach and position on areas of focus.
Engagement coordination – Policymakers
- Develop prep materials for policy maker engagements including biographies of policy makers, areas of focus from recent speeches and commentary.
- Make connections across policy maker official engagements to identify themes and areas of focus.
- Maintain database/inventory of engagements including key takeaways.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with agency staffers.
- Monitor news feeds, agency websites and rule lists, and inform internal stakeholders of global and US regulatory developments.
- Engage with OGC SMEs to identify and determine applicability.
- Shown project management skills.
- Strong relationship management skills, including ability to get along with individuals at various levels internal and external to the company.
- Meaningful business experience with a registered investment adviser, broker-dealer, or mutual fund, or experience in public policy or government affairs, including with a government agency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Vanguard business and processes.
1. Conducts research and analysis related to complex regulatory developments affecting Vanguard. Drafts verbal or written reports, talking points, position papers, and meeting materials for assigned issues.
2. Provides support and expertise in the development of Vanguard’s regulatory priorities, policy roadmap, and agenda.
3. Engages with federal financial regulatory bodies such as the SEC, FINRA, Federal Reserve, and other trade associations to build a network and represent Vanguard’s regulatory agenda.
4. Oversees the coordination and preparation of meeting materials and regulatory submissions.
5. Supports the effective and timely communication of regulatory developments affecting various businesses and other stakeholders. Collaborates with Compliance to ensure that advocacy efforts are informed by regulatory actions.
6. Stays abreast of regulatory and policy developments. Supports the effective and timely communication with the business and other stakeholders. Supports business leaders with potential impact.
7. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Five years related work experience, with two years of regulatory affairs experience.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduate degree preferred.
- You should be aware this will designate you as a Fund Access Person and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions. For more information see the following article.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process – please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-01-10