Senior Policy Associate
Job Posting: Senior Policy Associate
OCA – Asian Pacific American Advocates is a national civil rights organization dedicated to advancing the social, political, and economic well-being of all Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. OCA’s national office in Washington, DC, is seeking a full-time Senior Policy Associate to work closely with the Executive Director to lead our national policy, advocacy, and campaign work — identifying opportunities to advance the organization’s policy priorities and develop appropriate strategies for engagement.
- Policy and Advocacy Development
- Monitor and analyze relevant activity in both the Administration and Congress and develop appropriate strategies to advance or counter such activities
- Engage and develop relationships with key policymakers
- Provide recommendations for engagement on issues/incidents that impact Asian American and Pacific Islander communities
- Develop national campaigns as necessary to advance organizational issue priorities
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Public Affairs and Chief Executive Officer, and Executive Director, develop policy platforms for each Congressional cycle
- Strategic Partnerships and Coalition Management
- Identify opportunities for engagement and collaboration with national partners
- Serve as the organization’s primary issue advocate on national coalitions
- Policy and Advocacy Communications
- Work closely with the organization’s communications staff and executive team to develop press releases, organizational statements, and other communications materials as it relates to OCA’s policy priorities
- Identify opportunities to advance the organization’s advocacy agenda through strategic media engagement in collaboration communications staff
- Assist in program development and support, such as development of workshops and other programming for annual events, including but not limited to: OCA National Convention, Corporate Achievement Awards, quarterly national board meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer or Executive Director
- 2-3 years experience with legislative advocacy, community organizing, issue campaigns, or other relevant experience.
- Experience in education/workforce or technology and telecommunications policy.
- Proven ability to analyze and summarize complex policy issues for public consumption
- Ability to respectfully engage diverse stakeholders, ranging from local community members to policy makers.
- Be an exceptionally quick learner and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Able to work both independently and as a team.
- Familiar with the diverse needs of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
- Familiar with the structure and processes of a membership-based organization
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacation, health care, vision, employer subsidized dental and transit, and employer matching Simple IRA.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, desired salary range. and two references to email@example.com by Monday, August 31, 2020.
Please Note: While this position is based in Washington, D.C., all OCA Staff are working from home until further notice.
OCA is an equal opportunity employer and does not and will not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, gender identity, marital status, national origin, parental status, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, use of service animal, military or veteran status.
To view this position online: https://www.ocanational.org/work-with-us-1/2020/8/14/hiring-for-senior-policy-associate
Job posted: 2020-08-20