Senior Policy and Communications Officer
Position Title: Senior Policy and Communications Officer
Position Location: New York City
Job Classification: Exempt / Full Time
Reports to: NYC LISC Executive Director
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 36 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Visit us at www.lisc.org
The New York City office of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks a senior-level professional to fill the position of Director of External Affairs. This position reports to the LISC NYC Executive Director.
LISC is a national nonprofit organization, which provides financial and technical assistance to neighborhood-based nonprofit community development corporations (CDCs) working to improve housing and economic conditions in distressed neighborhoods. The New York City program works with CDCs and community-based entrepreneurs throughout the city to develop affordable multi-family rental housing, homeownership opportunities, commercial enterprises and community facilities.
LISC New York City raises grants, loans and equity for strategic investments in community development organizations. We commit to working with community groups over a long period of time, providing them with consultation and training in addition to financial support to help these organizations – and the residents they serve – prosper as they improve their communities. In New York City, LISC and its affiliates have invested over $3 billion in nonprofit and local developers resulting in the creation of over 30,000 apartments and 2,000,000 square feet of commercial, industrial, and retail space.
- Collaborate with Executive Director, LISC national policy and senior staff in the formulation of an overall policy platform, and well as a communications strategy for LISC NYC.
- Implement policy strategies for LISC NYC. Maintain knowledge of the federal, state, and local community development policy issues and budgets. Actively participate in external policy committees.
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials and their staff – as well as government agency policy staff and industry partners — on a variety of issues related to economic inclusion, community development, and affordable housing.
- Actively participate in the policy dialogue regarding the preservation of affordable housing, growth of economic development, establishment of inclusive communities; and community health policies; and maintain a detailed understanding of federal, state and local regulations.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, develop a communication strategy for LISC NYC and lead the external communications messaging efforts through a variety of platforms.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director on the execution of a communications strategy for LISC NYC including draft reports, white papers and blogs on programs and issues that intersect with LISC NYC’s policy strategy; oversee the LISC NYC social media strategy; and serve a liaison for the LISC NYC media relations strategy; and coordinating with the LISC National Communications Department on behalf of the Executive Director.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed by the Executive Director.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required. Master’s degree in policy, planning, public administration or related field is highly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience are required; Deep knowledge of federal housing, economic development, and community development financing programs such as LIHTC and NMTC, as well as relevant New York City and New York State financing programs.
- Some experience developing and implementing programs that strengthen community development policy activities.
- Knowledge of the community development industry.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a positive, solution-oriented manner with coworkers and representatives from the nonprofit, corporate, philanthropic and public sectors.
- Capacity to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and projects and set priorities for a challenging workload.
- Excellent, research, writing and verbal communication skills required.
Minimal US travel required when permitted.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits. Please send cover letter and resume via email to: email@example.com
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
Job posted: 2021-02-03