Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Policy Manager (or Director)
Driven by our vision of the affordable, reliable, net-zero carbon grid of the future, Mainspring has developed a new category of power generation — the linear generator — that delivers onsite, fuel-flexible power to help accelerate the transition to the future grid.
The unique combination of attributes offered by Mainspring’s linear generator enables applications on both the customer and utility sides of the meter for the $816B global electricity equipment market. We serve a wide range of Fortune 500 customers across markets and industries as well as top-tier utilities and other gridside providers.
We are looking to build relationships with people who share our values:
- Pragmatic Optimism. Building a new category of world-class power generation requires the optimism of ambition and creativity, balanced with practicality to solve problems efficiently. The challenges that arise are opportunities for growth.
- Excellence without Ego. We bring expertise and commitment to creating the best customer experience, from sales to deployment and service, just as we apply deep technical rigor to building and delivering world-class products. We strive for excellence and behave as leaders with the humility to acknowledge our challenges, both collectively and as individual contributors.
- Proactive Collaboration. The integration and cross-disciplinary nature of Mainspring’s business requires intentionally seeking out others who bring different skills, perspectives, and priorities. Our culture of inclusion and respect extends beyond our team to interactions with our partners and customers.
Mainspring is based in Menlo Park and is backed by top-tier venture and strategic investors such as Khosla Ventures, Bill Gates, American Electric Power, and Centrica Innovations. More information can be found at www.mainspringenergy.com.
As our Senior Policy Manager (or Director), you will guide Mainspring’s legislative and regulatory initiatives throughout the Western U.S. with a particular focus on California. You will identify, analyze and effectively articulate policy risks and opportunities to relevant stakeholders, including senior management and external parties. In order to promote and support the rapid and widespread deployment of Mainspring’s linear generator technology, you will build relationships with a wide variety of public and private sector stakeholders, craft thoughtful government affairs strategies in collaboration with other internal and external team members, and coordinate with external partners in order to effectively execute those strategies. This role will report to Mainspring’s Head of Policy & Regulatory Counsel.
- Assist in developing and guiding the execution of policy strategies across various state and local jurisdictions to promote and ensure a level playing field for Mainspring’s linear generator technology
- Oversee and lead Mainspring’s participation in a wide variety of legislative initiatives and regulatory proceedings in Western states
- Draft memoranda, legislative testimony, and regulatory filings based on analysis and input from multiple internal stakeholders
- Develop presentations, messaging materials and other written collateral for presentation to public officials and other external industry stakeholders
- Establish and maintain relationships with key advocacy organizations and industry groups at the local, state, and regional levels; represent Mainspring at working groups and other membership organization events
- Monitor legislation and regulatory proceedings and prepare written analysis and recommendations for senior management
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Mainspring’s business development, public relations and communications, and product functions, on issue prioritization, market development strategy, and thought leadership
- Occasional travel required, primarily within California
- BA/BS degree required; advanced degree in policy, law or a related field preferred
- 7-12+ years of policy or regulatory experience in electricity utility and/or clean energy sectors
- Candidates should be based in Northern California with a preference for Sacramento
- Knowledge of policies related to distributed energy resources, microgrids, grid reliability and resilience, utility resource adequacy and planning, and environmental permitting
- Familiarity with legislative and regulatory processes
- Highly detail oriented with an aptitude for analyzing complex policy/regulatory issues, and accurately identifying and assessing political nuances
- Adept at finding creative solutions to complex issues, providing concise and business-focused advice, and make sound risk-based judgments under tight deadlines
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, thinking and moving quickly, with a proven ability to prioritize and juggle many different projects at once
- Superior writing, communication and presentation skills
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-12