Senior Policy & Research Associate
Background on the National Housing Conference
The National Housing Conference (NHC) has been defending the American Home since 1931. NHC
convenes and collaborates with our diverse membership and the broader housing and community
development sectors to advance our policy, research and communications initiatives to effect positive
change at the federal, state and local levels. Politically diverse and nonpartisan, NHC is a 501(c)3
NHC is seeking a full-time senior policy and research associate. We seek a mission-focused, selfmotivated team member with experience working in a performance culture among a group of diverse,
talented individuals. The senior policy and research associate will help NHC pursue our policy priorities,
serve our members and grow as an organization.
• Represent NHC on public policy issues related to affordable housing, including working with
coalitions, communicating with administration officials and congressional staff, and meeting
with member organizations.
• Write, edit, and produce NHC’s policy materials including regulatory comments, coalition
statements, blog posts, publications, working group notices, and the Member Brief-NHC’s
weekly update on the status of housing and legislative issues of interest to NHC members.
• Monitor and report on legislative and regulatory activity related to affordable housing and
• Coordinate NHC events such as task force and working group meetings, conferences and
• Synthesize academic and other research on the relationships between affordable housing and
other social and economic outcomes.
• Present research findings through webinars or at public meetings and conferences.
• Support other research and policy activities in service of NHC’s mission.
• Other duties as needed to assist the NHC team.
• Master’s degree is preferred, comparable professional experience will be considered;
• Experience working with Congress and/or the Executive Branch;
• Experience in and strong commitment to the affordable housing field preferred;
• Knowledge of current housing policy issues such as Housing Finance, Opportunity Zones,
CRA, GSE and regulatory reform;
• Excellent writing skills – particularly an ability to write in a way that will be understandable by
• Strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills.
• Ability to speak effectively to large or small audiences. Public speaking training or experience
is a plus;
• Ability to organize and manage multiple simultaneous projects of varying size and complexity;
• Administrative and computer skills necessary for managing projects, documents, and outbound
communications: Microsoft Office or equivalent, Constant Contact or equivalent, Microsoft
Outlook or equivalent;
• Ability to diplomatically prioritize competing demands;
• Ability to work well with a broad range of people and in a team environment;
• Willingness to travel; and
• Sense of humor and creative spirit.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit the following materials:
• Cover letter and salary requirements
Email materials with subject line “Policy and Research Associate– [Your Name]” to:
Director of Operations
National Housing Conference
NHC is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2020-10-02