Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Program Director, Justice
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 230 organizations which promotes and protects civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
The Senior Program Director, Justice will lead the organization’s national program to re-imagine public safety and transform the criminal-legal system. Through advocacy, communications outreach, and mobilization, the program offers solution at every stage of the criminal-legal process, providing a comprehensive framework to end mass incarceration and criminalization by prioritizing upfront investments in non-carceral programs and social services. Importantly, our work centers communities disproportionately and individuals directly impacted by the criminal-legal system.
The ideal candidate will combine significant program management experience with strategic thinking, communications, and advocacy and subject matter expertise. The program will closely coordinate with other programmatic staff on other issue areas and will take an intersectional approach to its work. This position will report to the Executive Vice President (EVP) for Campaigns and Programs and will be responsible for managing the interdepartmental program team through the organizations’ matrix systems.
What You Will Do:
Administration and Leadership
- Lead, implement, and provide daily management of the program.
- Provide short- and long-term strategic direction for the program priorities including setting organizational goals, objectives, and metrics.
- Create a comprehensive organizational workplan in consultation with the government affairs, communications, and field departments to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Ensure timely and effective implementation of workplan across departments and measure and evaluate team effectiveness and performance in meeting goals.
- Provide strategic support, guidance, and direct resources to program initiatives.
- Ensure that the program is being managed in accordance with best practices; submit written updates and other reports as requested.
- Manage program budget and direct resources to meet program goals and objectives.
- Work with the organizations leadership and development department to ensure resource needs are met.
- Ensure compliance with all funding requirements and other administrative, fiscal, and legal responsibilities.
- Manage a diverse group of coalition partners to advance program goals and objectives in strategic jurisdictions.
- Provide leadership within the coalition on priority issues and provide staff support to task force priorities; help devise coalition-based strategies to maximize research, education, communications, and outreach.
- Coordinate with others working on justice issues at the national, state, and local levels.
- Coordinate education and advocacy actions directed toward policymakers to further program goals in consultation with the government affairs team.
- Seek and develop new program opportunities as appropriate.
- Measure and ensure that performance goals are set and achieved.
- Provide leadership for the program planning process.
Community Engagement and Public Relations
- Represent and communicate about the program to the broader community of interested organizations, individuals, and other stakeholders.
- Represent the Justice Program and The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund at workshops, conferences, and in the media, as requested.
- Effectively liaise with partners and other relevant organizations and institutions.
What You Will Bring:
- A minimum of nine (9) years of criminal-legal system experience in work related to program management, implementation of advocacy campaigns, and/or public policy.
- An advanced degree in law, policy, or a related field is preferred.
- An innovative thinker with a proven track record in developing strategic programming and/or campaigns for progressive, civil rights, social justice, or related organization(s).
- Demonstrated coalition experience.
- Excellent oral presentation and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, planning, coordinating, and managerial skills, including the ability to develop talent and foster a positive and creative work environment.
- A commitment to civil and human rights and ensuring transparency and accountability in the program area.
- Experience with diverse groups of people, including those directly impacted by the criminal-legal system, and a range of national, state and local stakeholders, including advocacy and grassroots organizations.
- The ability to manage a complex workload and work under tight deadlines.
- The ability to work independently, and as part of teams, and organize time efficiently.
- A high level of dependability and commitment.
What We Offer:
The Organizations offer employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $135,922 – 159,162
Office Re-opening Statement
During the Covid-19 pandemic, staff may opt in to work from the office. Most staff have chosen the option to work remotely. Through an internal working group and staff input, we are assessing how and when we will return more fully to the office. We anticipate that staff will return to the office in some capacity later this year. For now, there is no requirement to work from the office through the end of 2022.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-09