Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Program Manager, Government Affairs, Legal – (22-GC-1310-047)
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this job. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform work-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description. This job description is not a “contract” between the employee and the Authority. The job duties and essential functions may be changed at the discretion of the General Manager.
The Senior Program Manager, Government Affairs, works under the supervision of the Vice President of Industry and Government Affairs and is responsible for directing the Authority’s policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs. The incumbent maintains and nurtures the relationships with government, associated authorities, and all committees, and legislatively represents and protects organization interests while monitoring legislative and regulatory activities; Assists, as needed, in the establishment of corporate strategies, policies, and plans, which align with government laws, regulations and standards; Leads analysis of proposed legislative actions, determines the potential impact on the Authority, and develops appropriate responses.
- Envisions, develops, designs, and implements local, state, and federal administrative strategy to effectively accomplish Authority goals.
- Develops and enhances alliances with key local, state, and federal administration officials and their staff on legislative activity that presents opportunities and challenges to the Authority’s project areas and priorities and anticipates needs.
- Analyzes proposed legislation, legislative actions, and Administrative actions and determines the potential impact on the Authority’s key priority areas.
- Identifies and keeps up to date on key current national legislative and administrative activities and economic, political, and social trends that affect the Authority and develops organization positions and talking points to support those positions.
- Represents the organization at meetings and coalition roundtables, including meeting with Members of local, state, and federal representatives and staff, Administration staff, and other key policy leaders and stakeholders.
- Prepares the Executive Director, Senior Leadership Team, and other organizational leaders for meetings with members of local, state, and federal staff, and senior-level staff in the Administrations.
- Collaborates with the Communications team to respond to timely developments on the legislative and administrative fronts, and on media opportunities.
- Acts as a spokesperson on Legislative and Administrative issues when necessary to help build the Authority’s vision and impact.
- Develops Advocacy communications for staff internally and externally, including but not limited to monthly newsletters, government affairs website page, and regulatory tracking tools.
- Coordinates with marketing and communications to develop educational materials, as well as targeted content for social media platforms, such as LinkedIn and Twitter, which are designed to amplify and promote the Authority’s advocacy positions.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the Vice-President, Industry and Government Affairs.
Key Working Relationships: Works directly with a large and diverse project team consisting of technicians, consultants, engineers, construction contractors and subcontractors, and the DC Water Executive team.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE & OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
The minimum qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability necessary for an individual to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable amounts of training are provided.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years of experience in the local, state, and federal legislative arena.
- Substantive experience with the federal legislative process and interplay with executive branch policymaking.
- Strong network of relationships in local, state, and federal representatives.
- Ability to forecast short and long-term implications of policy changes and political trends; Innovative and resourceful; diplomatic, intuitive, and inquisitive; willing to offer opinions, suggestions, and judgments that are supported by sound logic.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General Office Conditions.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
The Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination against “qualified individuals with disabilities”. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-10