Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Program Officer, Nature-based Adaptation Solutions – 23039
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a Senior Program Officer, Nature-based Adaptation Solutions, Climate Goal.
The Senior Program Officer leads research and analysis and project management and implementation for WWF’s growing body of work incorporating nature-based solutions and natural infrastructure in building land/seascape scale climate resilience in WWF priority places. Working with other WWF goal and influence team staff and field offices, the SPO will lead contributions for critical components of existing and new WWF climate adaptation and resilience and other WWF goal team projects and programs, including the Asia’s Linear Infrastructure: Safeguarding Nature (ALIGN), Sustainable Infrastructure Program in Asia (SIPA), and Bezos Earth Fund (BEF) mangroves projects, and new initiatives supporting private sector partners in designing for nature-positive development and landscape scale resilience. Working with the Director of Climate Risk Management and Resilience and other key adaptation team staff, the SPO also will lead key contributions to Green Climate Fund (GCF) and Global Environment Fund (GEF) proposal development processes, including those focused on sustainable infrastructure and nature-based solutions for resilience.
- Develops, plans, and implements new and ongoing climate change adaptation projects and grants. Works with project personnel, grantees, consultants, and other goal team staff to improve project/program design, and facilitate coordination, communication, and regular reporting for current projects, including GEF and GCF proposal concepts and the, BEF, SIPA and ALIGN projects.
- Supports adaptation team contributions to cross-organizational initiative on sustainable infrastructure through research to support international (and domestic) policy advocacy nature-based solutions for resilience, natural infrastructure, and the integration of international climate, biodiversity, and sustainable development agendas.
- Conducts original research and monitors new technical information, tools, and global trends related to climate change adaptation and resilience, nature-based solutions, and landscape scale planning for nature-positive and climate resilient development; documents learning from projects to inform future adaptation and resilience work.
- Leads and coordinates development of short- and long-term workplans, reports and communications materials for adaptation team projects. Assists with fundraising proposals from private foundations and/or government aid agencies to support related adaptation and resilience projects. Prepares and/or finalizes scopes of work, budgets, and administrative information for contracts and to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Travels to project field locations, providing relevant technical research and facilitating workshop planning and logistical support. Guides field offices in integrating climate risks into conservation and sustainable developments strategies for WWF priority places.
- Interacts regularly with other program staff and departments, WWF International and network field offices, associate organizations, grantees, and consultants to advise and coordinate project activities or to obtain and disseminate information.
- May indirectly supervise one or more support staff. Supervises the work of consultants and/or interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree in natural resource management, conservation, climate change, or other relevant field and a minimum of 6years professional experience required; or an advanced degree in a relevant field and a minimum of 3 years of professional experience required.
- Preferable experience in fields relevant to biodiversity conservation and sustainable development, including nature-based solutions, sustainable infrastructure, natural capital and ecosystem services, landscape scale planning; and excellent understanding of international conservation, climate, and sustainable development issues, especially nature-based solutions, climate risk management, climate resilience, sustainable infrastructure, and systems changeStrong research and analytical skills
- Strong communications skills, both written and public speaking
- Strong project management and organizational skillsbility to operate with independence, under pressure, to meet deadlines and commitments
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team member with a wide range of individuals, possibly across cultures and time zones
- Study/work experience in developing countries
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF’s core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
WWF is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and requires all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. WWF will consider requests for accommodation from the vaccine requirement based on disability, medical contraindication, sincerely held religious belief, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #23039
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Job posted: 2022-10-26