MDU Resources Group, Inc.
Responsible for placing safety as #1 priority in day to day work routine for self and others. Assists with the communication of the corporation’s vision, mission and business strategies by implementing policies, programs and activities that enhance the image and reputation of the corporation and its business units; support their goals and objectives; educate the general public; inform employees; and identify, track, address, and influence issues and the attitudes and concerns of the corporation’s various audiences including employees, shareholders, media, general public, governmental and public officials, and business and trade organizations.
Assists with planning, developing, and implementing a government and public affairs program to achieve an effective interface between the corporation, its business units and federal, state and local government entities; and oversee and provide direction to contract governmental affairs representatives and affiliated associations and organizations working in the various states in which the company operates and at the federal level.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or public relations and at least 6 years of experience in the public relations or public affairs fields.
Key Skills and Competencies
• Excellent writing skills.
• Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work and negotiate with key contacts, and stakeholders, both internally and externally.
• Understanding of public policy development and federal/state legislative processes along with the ability to manage a broad range of complicated public policy issues and initiatives.
• Strategic communication planning skills and thorough understanding of industry and policy issues.
• Excellent research, problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to work under tight time frames and stressful conditions.
• Good judgment is essential to this position.
1. Provides strategic communications counsel to the corporation’s top executives and develop strategic corporate communications plans with clearly defined goals, objectives and strategies.
2. In collaboration with the Director and corporate and business unit management, assists with planning, developing, and implementing internal and external communication policies, programs and activities for the corporation and its business units to inform employees, customers, media, general public, governmental and public officials, business and trade organizations, and current and prospective investors, and to protect and enhance our corporate image and reputation.
3. In collaboration with the Director and corporate and subsidiary management, assists with identifying public policy issues and initiatives affecting our businesses and business interests and assist developing and implementing appropriate strategies to minimize governmental impacts and maximize business opportunities.
4. Assists with developing and implementing the corporation’s government affairs activities, in collaboration with the Director and corporate and business unit management, including:
a. Identifies and manages issues and priorities related to government activities at the federal level and in states where our businesses operate;
b. Collaborates with and provides direction to business unit subject matter experts authorized to assist with public affairs and government relations efforts, contract government affairs representatives, and affiliated associations and organizations working on behalf of the corporation in the various states in which the company operates and at the federal level;
c. Advances the advocacy plan for the corporation by developing and maintaining relationships with key elected and government officials;
d. Facilitates constructive interaction between executives of the corporation and elected officials;
e. Building employee awareness and support for the company’s public policy positions;
f. Monitors proposed and pending state and federal legislation and public policy initiatives which may affect MDU Resources Group companies’ operations;
g. Provides counsel and communication to executives of the corporation and non-department employees on governmental, legislative, political and public policy issues and initiatives and, as necessary; determines and communicates the corporation’s position about those governmental, legislative, political, and public policy issues and initiatives;
h. Assists with management of the federal/state Political Action Committee and the MDU Resources Good Government Fund.
5. Represents the company at appropriate community, state, regional and national industry associations, boards and committees.
6. Maintains relationships with appropriate industry, business, and community associations, boards and committees.
7. Performs other tasks and special projects as assigned.
• Advanced degree in business, management or communications.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States, no sponsorships considered.
Learn more here
Job Posted: August 16, 2017