Senior Public Policy Manager US
We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our Legal and Public Policy Team as a Senior Public Policy Manager US and help DuckDuckGo advocate for online privacy.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels on advocacy, policy, research, and public engagement to formulate new and creative ways to demand change and achieve policy and advocacy goals in the privacy field.
We are fully remote and empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If you’d thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead development of projects by taking vague problems, scoping them into high-impact projects, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Work alongside the broad DuckDuckGo team on advocacy, policy, research, and public engagement to formulate new and creative ways to demand change and achieve policy goals in the privacy field within federal and state legislatures. While we focus on challenges relating to online privacy, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect, including competition issues.
- Develop and drive strategic policy communications designed to increase DuckDuckGo’s brand awareness, thought leadership, long-term credibility with main institutions in the US (governmental and non-governmental organizations).
- Advocate before government officials and at conferences on protections for users and consumers of dominant tech platforms.
- Respond to governmental investigations and media inquiries.
- Coordinate and develop communications, including legislative testimony, talking points, alerts, and white papers for distribution to government audiences and the public.
- Work closely and collaboratively with DuckDuckGo’s lead policy advocate.
What we are looking for:
- Residence in greater DC area.
- 4+ years of experience in relevant roles.
- Experience in working on legislative issues relating to privacy, technology, and human rights.
- Expertise in policy and legislative advocacy, advocacy campaign management, outreach, and coalition building.
- Proven track record of communicating complex technical issues to diverse audiences.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills in English.
- Public speaking experience and familiarity with media landscape.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to carry ideas forward with confidence and discretion while working proactively, independently, and transparently.
- Some travel required.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day.
- Sometimes we meet up! We have an annual all-hands meetup and an annual functional team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This work philosophy effectuates our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Operationally, our work centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We aim to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we’ve built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by law.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!
Job posted: 2020-01-30