Senior Public Relations Manager, Public Policy
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts in Washington DC, you will help Blue Origin use communications to engage strategically with government stakeholders, Congressional Members, Administration officials and third parties. In this role you will develop and implement communications strategies to advance Blue Origin’s public policy messages related to commercial, civil and national security programs.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Develop and implement communications strategies to advance Blue Origin’s public policy priorities at the federal level
- Work with internal executives, the government relations teams, sales teams, and consultants to execute these strategies
- Apply knowledge of stakeholder affairs in DC as related to aerospace and defense programs
- Develop positioning papers, messaging materials and Op-Eds to advance key campaigns.
- Develop and maintain relationships with government, policy and space trade press
- Monitor federal government and executive branch activities and communications
- Advise on media sentiment with regard to federal government and executive branch activities
- Manage media inquiries, pitch stories, create, plan and execute media events and campaigns
- Support preparation and staff executive media engagements
- Support the development of the media strategy across all business units
- Work with communications teams across locations
- 7+ years of experience with public policy communications
- Demonstrated relationships with reporters at key Washington, D.C. publications and top-tier media
- Demonstrated experience and comfort regularly engaging with reporters on background and off-the-record
- Strong writing proficiency
- Experience as an on the record spokesperson
- Experience managing agency and vendor relationships
- Demonstrated proficiency using social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- B.A./B.S. degree in communications, political science, public relations or equivalent
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Demonstrated relationships with aerospace and defense reporters at key beltway publications and top-tier media
- Graphic design and/or photography skills
- Crisis communications experience
To conform to U.S. Government commercial space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, lawfully admitted for permanent residence into the U.S. (i.e. current green card holder), or lawfully admitted as a refugee or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1157-1158. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to view a copy of Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space. Blue Origin believes it has an important role in building a road to space and lowering the cost of getting there. At Blue Origin, we’re working on this today by developing fully reusable launch vehicles and systems that are safe, reliable and affordable. Every launch vehicle is designed for human spaceflight from the beginning and able to ferry payloads to space.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-22