Senior Specialist, Congressional Affairs
American Physical Therapy Association
Title: Senior Specialist Congressional Affairs
Department: Government Affairs
FLSA Status: Exempt
- In consultation and supervision of the Vice President of Government Affairs, legislative policy and strategy in implementing APTA’s public policy priorities.
- Represents the Association in lobbying efforts directed at the legislative branch of the Federal Government.
- Coordinates with the APTA Regulatory Affairs staff in the development of public policy and strategies as it relates to APTA’s legislative agenda.
- Monitors federal publications, congressional schedule, and legislation for opportunities to protect and promote the interests of physical therapy.
- Participates in legislative and political activities with other stakeholder organizations .
- Writes articles for Association and Departmental publications.
- Provides presentations at APTA events, webinars, and members groups.
- Develops testimony represented before congressional committees.
- Develops sign-on letters for members of Congress aimed at federal agencies.
- Develops content and resources for federal legislative portion of the APTA website.
- Attends political events to represent the Association.
- Responds to member inquiries relating to federal legislative concerns.
- Assists with the management of APTA’s grassroots, including key contacts and federal liaisons.
- Represents APTA at meetings related to federal legislative concerns.
- Serves as the liaison to selected APTA sections and APTA member groups on legislative issues.
- Assists the Director in responding to inquiries from members of Congress and various government agencies.
- Speaks to various associations, educational institutions and APTA sections.
- All other duties as required by management related to the orderly, efficient, and safe operation of APTA.
- Bachelor’s degree required; and advanced degree such as a JD or Master’s degree in the health care policy area is preferred.
- Background demonstrating substantial familiarity with federal government/legislative affairs; and experience in formulating and advancing federal legislative and regulatory policy.
- Preferably 5+ years Hill experience working on health care and public health issues; specific knowledge and specialized expertise in access, coverage, and payment policies.
- Understanding of federal programs such as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the Higher Education Act, Medicaid, Medicare, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, is desirable.
- Expertise in working in coalitions.
- Excellent public speaking ability.
- Strong professional writing skills.
- Ability to be mobile
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:email@example.com.
Job posted: 2018-11-08