Senior Specialist, Legislative (Trophy Hunting)
The Humane Society Legislative Fund, (HSLF) formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of the Humane Society of the United States is seeking a Senior Specialist, Legislative. The main responsibility of this position is to primarily focus on advancing federal legislation to restrict the trophy hunting of native carnivores and international wildlife species on the Endangered Species Act list or proposed to be listed. Responsibilities will also include advancing legislative strategy on wildlife trafficking and other wildlife and appropriations issues as directed. Provide guidance to other legislative staff on these issues.
This position will be responsible for:
- Developing Legislative Strategy: Working with the President and Vice President of HSLF along with the HSUS Wildlife Department and Animal Protection Litigation (APL) drafting legislation that strengthens legal protections for wildlife and public policies that support a prohibition on trophy hunting, particularly of native carnivores and species listed on the endangered species list;
- Developing Positive Relationships with Federal Officials: Promoting HSLF and HSUS Wildlife Department’s legislative goals to Congressional offices and committees focusing on authorizing and appropriating language. Also, providing regulatory lobbying support on trophy hunting, wildlife trafficking, and other wildlife conservation issues as needed;
- Serving as a Liaison: Alerting appropriate program, campaign, regulatory, litigation, and communications staff of opportunities to advance or defeat legislative measures. Providing information on timing of legislative actions and in coordination with outreach and state affairs, drafting alerts for grassroots actions;
- Public Relations: Working in coordination with The HSUS’ public relations department to review press releases, op-eds, and other media materials as related to federal legislations. Providing media interviews as needed;
- Building coalition support for priorities: Working to develop coalitions with a variety of political organizations and associations where common interests intersect. Representing the legislative agenda and strategy of the HSLF and HSUS Wildlife Department within these coalitions.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience required;
- Five or more years of lobbying/government relations experience required;
- Strong knowledge of federal legislative process, appropriations process and committee work; The ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Interest in animal protection issues desired.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Job posted: 2018-12-03