Senior Specialist, Trade Policy
This position assists in the establishment and cultivation of key government relationships in conjunction with the ongoing identification and monitoring of global technical/regulatory issues; oversees the development of position statements and market information; works with ABC staff, regulators and industry in resolving import issues and other market access situations; contributes to the development of mitigation strategies and evaluation of trade/technical issues; and performs related duties as assigned.
This exempt position is responsible for analyzing technical/regulatory and trade issues, market access problems, and phytosanitary issues, both within the U.S. and internationally. This position is also responsible for liaising with industry and government officials in the U.S. and overseas, and for assisting the GTRA team with overall strategic planning, evaluation and management of issues. This role can be performed remotely, preferably located in the Central Valley, within a reasonable commute distance to ABC’s office located in Modesto, CA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The following duties are typical of those performed by employees in this job title; however, employees may perform other related duties.
• Prepares or assists in preparation of a variety of trade flow statistics, trade agreement overviews, tariff charts and comment letters; develops industry communications materials in the form of backgrounders, reports, market profiles and industry advisories related to current trade/import and technical/regulatory affairs
• In conjunction with the GTRA team, directs and supports work of consultants in management of pesticide issues; coordinates the development of ABC responses to USDA/FAS and other government agencies on trade/market access issues
• Establishes and maintains contacts with U.S. and foreign government authorities on the status of import requirements, trade issues, negotiations, standards, etc.
• Evaluates and analyzes import/export data, preparing summaries of trends
• Monitors and maintains country issue profiles, including on-going sanitary/phytosanitary
(SPS) and Technical barriers to trade (TBT) issues
• Oversees European and Japanese import notifications and follow up, including development of responses to the EU Commission and US government authorities
• Reviews global trade databases, WTO/SPS notifications, USDA/FAS market reports (GAIN system), and other resources to identify emerging issues
• Maintains issues log and relevant GTRA website pages
• Develops and maintains an automated industry facing system to report out progress on issues which are being tracked by staff
• Prepares comment letters for submission related to technical issues, trade agreements, etc.
• With the Vice President, develops and maintains up-to-date talking points on relevant trade issues for use by Communications teams and for media responses
• Assists in the coordination of technical seminars and briefings both in the US and in conjunction with global Trade Servicing programs
• Participates in global organization meetings (e.g., Frucom, Codex, etc.)
Job posted: 2020-11-21