Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Statewide Organizer
Senior Statewide Organizer
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Remote, Los Angeles or Southern California preferred
Status: Full-Time with Benefits
Are you a dynamic, accomplished organizer and relationship-builder wanting to make a difference on climate change? We are looking for a smart, collaborative, enthusiastic, and experienced organizer to lead our Climate-Safe California mobilizing initiative and further develop relationships with diverse partners across the state to support bold, accelerated and equitable climate policies.
About The Climate Center
The Climate Center, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, works to deliver rapid greenhouse gas reductions at scale, starting in California. Founded in 2001, The Climate Center (TCC) played a key role in the tremendous growth in California of Community Choice Energy (CCA), local government-led alternatives to investor-owned utilities. CCAs grew from 2 to 23 over the past seven years and now provide 80-90% greenhouse gas-free electricity to over 11 million Californians.
The Climate Center has launched a bold, science-based campaign, Climate-Safe California, to accelerate equitable climate action in California, catalyzing other states, our nation and countries around the world to greater action for a climate-safe future.
Our goal is that California, the world’s fifth largest economy, achieves net-negative emissions, removing more climate pollution than we emit, by 2030, 15 years earlier than current state policy. We envision enacting by 2025 the full suite of policies required by science to rapidly cut warming emissions, scale up sequestration on natural and working lands, and ensure resilience of all California’s communities in the face of growing extremes. Our policies and programs are guided by three key principles. They must: (1) be based on the latest science, (2) ensure a just transition for workers, their families and their communities that are dependent on fossil fuel industries, and, (3) prioritize climate justice to ensure that low income communities and communities of color are no longer disproportionately harmed by the production and use of fossil fuels, and that they have equitable access to climate solutions.
The Senior Statewide Organizer (SSO) will develop, organize, manage, and coordinate partnerships and coalitions for The Climate Center leveraging existing relationships and building new ones in support of Climate-Safe California goals. The SSO will lead TCC’s efforts to amplify our power in Sacramento in support of the bold climate policies. They will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work closely with the rest of our team including other initiative leaders, regional organizing staff, and our Communications Director.
Job Responsibilities for SSO:
- Build relationships with labor, environmental justice groups, environmental organizations, regional partners, and others in support of the goals and current initiatives of Climate-Safe California (CSC);
- Develop, organize, coordinate, and manage campaigns in support of TCC legislative and other initiatives;
- Coordinate TCC’s efforts in coalitions we participate in and oversee the coalitions we lead;
- Develop, manage and be accountable for the Mobilizing Initiative annual workplan and budget;
- Manage TCC regional organizers, coordinating their work and keeping them connected to each other and current CSC initiatives;
- Help build internal state policy campaign infrastructure with Chief Operating Officer and Government Affairs Manager;
- Build a network of volunteer leaders who will encourage others to take action on CSC initiatives;
- Coordinate and lead trainings that support partnership building for regional organizers, organizers, and volunteers;
- Track existing and new partner contacts and information utilizing TCC database;
- Create opportunities to engage in targeted outreach with partners e.g., webinars, op-eds, blogs, social media posts, and sign-on letters;
- Collaborate with TCC Communications team to amplify partner and volunteer leadership and stories online, in the media and for advocacy;
- Travel throughout California to support regional organizers and build partner relationships;
- Develop and promote regional meetings, events, and webinars to support Climate-Safe California goals;
- Participate in strategic program and policy planning to grow the impact of the Mobilizing initiative and advance CSC goals;
- Track and support TCC’s 501 C4’s campaigns and communicate as necessary with partners;
- Engage in and support fundraising working closely with the TCC Development team e.g. when making contacts with potential high net worth individuals and foundation representatives; speaking at events, or donor meetings;
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
- Minimum 6 years organizing campaigns and coalition management experience, including experience with union organizing;
- Worked with a diverse group of stakeholders to achieve a common goal;
- B.A. or A.A. degree or equivalent
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to empathize, connect, and work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including listening, persuasion and facilitation skills;
- Proven team player;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Active listening and problem solving skills;
- Experience organizing with low-income and/or communities of color on the frontlines of climate impacts and fossil fuel pollution;
- Experience organizing in California — working with environmental justice groups and labor;
- Ability to work independently, navigate obstacles, discern priorities, meet competing deadlines and handle multiple projects;
- Strong database management skills that inform analysis of the base and strategy;
- Familiarity with digital strategies, online organizing, and distributed organizing;
- Ability to work flexible schedule with some travel;
- Valid driver’s license, car and insurance;
- Comfortable with a remote work culture;
- Sense of humor;
- Commitment to accelerated, equitable climate action.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Climate Center also offers an excellent benefits package.
- Generous medical, dental and vision plan
- 401(k) plan with opportunity for match
- Dynamic and supportive team atmosphere
At The Climate Center, we care about each other and know that each employee has a whole life that includes time outside of work. The Climate Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We value diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, even if you do not meet all of the preferred qualifications.
Please apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, short sample of some recent communications (written, video, social media) developed primarily by you, and 3-5 references with your application. BIPOC are strongly encouraged to apply. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Apply to This Job
Instructions:Please apply online by following the link https://theclimatecenter.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27&source=aWQ9MTg%3D
Please submit a cover letter, resume, short sample of some recent communications (written, video, social media) developed primarily by you, and 3-5 references with your application. BIPOC are strongly encouraged to apply. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job posted: 2021-12-20