Food Bank of the Rockies’ service area covers over 147,000 square miles including much of Colorado and all of Wyoming. As one of the largest Food Banks in the United States, we are passionate about ensuring every community member has the resources they need to thrive. And we are in the thick of many exciting changes, including scaling up to meet the increased need for food, expanding our work with communities who have historically been underserved, and working more closely with our 800+ partners to serve everyone equitably. In addition, the Marketing and Communications team is on the precipice of a rebranding effort and building up processes, systems, and capacity to better serve the organization’s mission.
As part of this operational shift, we are growing our small but mighty Marketing and Communications team to ensure we share high-quality stories with our target audiences regularly. We are searching for a curious, innovative, detail-oriented, and passionate storyteller who will elevate our written content across channels. Are you meticulous with your use of em dashes, en dashes, and hyphens? Are you an Oxford comma groupie? Do you read your dog-eared copy of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary over a cup of coffee each morning? Are you passionate about storytelling and driven to do good in the world? If any of these describe you, apply to become our resident word nerd and bard. (Humor and equanimity are a must in this fast-paced and lively environment.)
The Senior Storyteller will implement writing standards for the organization with meticulous attention to consistency, factual accuracy, voice, tone, spelling, and grammar. They will edit all major outbound communications while crafting clear, bold, and engaging pieces of written content that are on brand and meet the organization’s long-term strategic objectives. This position plays a critical role in attracting prospective new supporters and energizing existing ones by positioning our organization as the go-to hunger-relief organization in the region by clearly communicating the impact of our work, sharing inspiring stories, and promoting opportunities to engage with us regularly. The Senior Storyteller will also work with the press to increase our visibility in the regional media market.
The successful candidate will be collaborative, resourceful, agile, open to giving and receiving feedback, a quick learner with versatile writing styles and strong editing capabilities, a strategic thinker, mission-driven, and committed to creating positive working relationships with staff, volunteers, partners, and supporters.
If you are looking for a mission-focused organization where innovation and teamwork are encouraged, new ideas are valued, and growth opportunities abound, then this is an ideal position for you.
We value diversity and inclusivity and are thus always looking to diversify our staff with an eye toward race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, and age, among other areas. Candidates who bring such diversity are encouraged to apply.
- Serve as the lead writer and/or editor for Food Bank of the Rockies’ highest-stakes internal and external communications: newsletters, emails, talking points, thought leadership pieces, op-eds, press releases, blog posts, social media posts, brochures, media statements, and internal announcements
- Implement organizational writing standards and make recommendations for training and talent
- Leverage internal relationships to translate programmatic work into clear, compelling stories that educate and inspire our key audiences
- Mentor teammates, and provide feedback on social posts, media statements, and blog posts
- Collaborate with team members across multiple departments
- Proofread materials to ensure exceptional quality and consistency in style, tone, and language across the organization
- Work hand-in-hand with the SEO experts to craft SEO-optimized content
- Manage freelance writers and editors
- Manage an editorial calendar with a cadence for regular written products, including newsletters, blog posts, and emails
- Work with the team and other internal stakeholders to define strategic content priorities
- Provide copy direction for a wide range of projects, including web, paid media, video, social, collateral, email, etc.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment with a high-volume workload often requiring short turnaround times
- Continually raise the bar on creativity, writing fresh copy including unique headlines
- Comfortably vary voice, style, and other characteristics demanded by the platform and target audience
- Keep up-to-date knowledge of communication trends
- Maintain and regularly update the editorial style guide
- Update our talking points monthly
- Develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other written content that promote awareness of the organization and our services
- Respond to press inquiries promptly and professionally; building and maintaining media contacts
- Develop strong and collaborative working relationships with all staff members who serve as subject matter experts and content resources to ensure effective and up-to-date communications messaging
- Ensure that our values, including equity and inclusion, shine through in the language we use and the stories we share
- Other duties as assigned
- Sitting and standing for long periods, walking intermittently
- Occasional travel across the region for interviews and story research
Knowledge and experience you’ll need to get the job done:
- BA in communications, journalism, creative writing, or a marketing-related field preferred; Masters preferred
- 7+ years of experience in messaging, content writing, and editing
- Strong command of Associated Press writing style
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills supported by a stellar portfolio
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate persuasively and articulately
- Knowledge of strategic communications and branded content creation
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks accurately, independently, and on-time
- Comfortable with tight deadlines, often concurrent, for several projects at once
- Ability to represent Food Bank of the Rockies with professional poise and work effectively with a wide range of constituents
- Experience working with reporters
- Demonstrates compassion and sensitivity in working with all community members
- Strong research and digital marketing skills
- Demonstrated ability to network and foster cross-functional collaborations
- Working knowledge of WordPress
- Iterating based on metrics and content performance
It’s a bonus if you also have:
- Experience with SEO
- Expertise with Smartsheets or other project management tools and editorial calendars
- Fluency in Spanish
- Nonprofit or ad agency experience
- Meltwater skills
- Luminate experience
- Basic photography skills
The position will remain open until filled. We will review applicants on a rolling basis and urge you to apply as soon as possible.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and two to three writing samples or a link to your portfolio. (Please do not reach out via phone, email, or in-person about this opportunity. We will reach out if your experience is a good fit for the position.)
What to expect next:
If we think your experience and skills are a good fit for the position, we will reach out for an initial phone interview. After the phone interview, select candidates will be asked to complete an assessment. And after the assessment, there will be two additional interview rounds for candidates who move on in the selection process. Due to the volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to all candidates.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-16