Senior Strategic Policy Advisor – Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
The Senior Strategic Policy Advisor – Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice provides strategic leadership and coordination in TNC policy engagement, working closely with our External Affairs leadership teams and other government relations leaders, to ensure TNC’s global policy, as well as U.S. policies and external affairs, address national and global issues equitably as they affect various communities. Working closely with our External Affairs teams, the Senior Strategic Policy Advisor leads and partners on developing strategic policy goals and policy design and enhancing external relationships in the areas of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ). This position reports directly to the Chief External Affairs Officer and is a member of the External Affairs management team.
Collaborating with our External Affairs teams, the Senior Strategic Advisor works with national and/or international government and other organizations to further the Conservancy’s mission and to enhance the External Affairs unit in incorporating Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) ideals and practices into our policy and advocacy efforts. A primary focus will be guiding policy teams to ensure the inclusion of these values in all policies that we support or develop. Duties include regular contact with country-level and multilateral officials, institutions and/or other representatives, in coordination with our External Affairs (XA) leadership teams, as well as with internal networks regarding DEIJ actions related to the mission of The Nature Conservancy. The Senior Strategic Advisor represents The Nature Conservancy before external partners and engages key public and private officials to increase support for TNC’s mission and programs. They also participate in the organization’s DEIJ Policy Committee.
Responsibilities & Scope
- Responsible for the strategic and thought leadership in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice for the External Affairs Team.
- Develop and manage a strategic DEIJ plan for the External Affairs business unit.
- Collaborate with XA leadership to identify and advance DEIJ policy and public funding goals.
- Articulate DEIJ goals and objectives in fundraising proposals for the External Affairs Team.
- Ensures the operational implementation and excellence for all DEIJ efforts within the External Affairs Team.
- Engages with and provides overarching guidance to the XA management team on the topic of DEIJ.
- Participates as part of the XA management team on overall operational excellence of External Affairs.
- Responsible for incorporating equity and inclusion insights in all international and U.S. policy work.
- Ensure that all organizational policy priorities embody DEIJ values.
- Educate XA staff on reviewing all current and future policies for DEIJ language and measurable outcomes.
- Network internally with Chief GDEI Officer, members of the GDEI Team as well as the Director of Equitable Conservation. In conjunction with XA Leadership, identity and engage key diverse external partnerships for priority policy goals.
- Ensure all Strategic Advisor activities meet all lobbying, contractual and legal regulations and standards.
- The scope of this position is of a global nature.
- Some travel anticipated; up to 30% of time (global and domestic).
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of related senior-level work experience, including current and evolving political, legislative and conservation trends on a federal and/or multi-state level.
- Fluency in English
- Experience in diversity, equity and inclusion or social justice work.
- Demonstrated experience building strong relationships across an organization and with partners such as corporations, public agencies, donors, and/or volunteers.
- Experience working across diverse teams and senior leadership.
- Experience collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience working with current and evolving political, legislative, sustainability, and/or conservation trends on an international, regional, country or sub-national level.
- Experience in directing or participating in complex negotiations and presenting to and communicating with government officials, corporate executives, board members and others.
- Experience communicating complex processes and ideas effectively to a variety of audiences within and outside an organization.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Master’s degree appreciated.
- Experience leading diversity, equity and inclusion external affairs initiatives.
- Experience conducting policy research and analysis.
- Experience in public policy, conservation/environmental policy, regulatory advocacy, and public funding.
- Outstanding written and oral communication, negotiating and organizational skills.
- Independent and self-motivated with the ability to participate effectively in a remote team environment.
To view the full position description and apply, please visit https://careers.nature.org. Applications will be reviewed in the order they’re received and the position will remain open until filled. If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Please visit our career center for a full list of all our open positions globally – new positions are posted often!
Job posted: 2021-03-03