Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Strategist, Corporate & Government Affairs
DTE is one of the nation’s largest diversified energy companies. Our electric and gas companies have fueled our customer’s homes and Michigan’s progress for more than a century. And as Michigan’s largest source of renewable energy, we’re creating a cleaner, healthier environment to power our future. We’re also serving communities beyond Michigan, where our affiliated businesses offer renewable energy, emission control technologies, and energy services to industries in 19 states.
But we’re more than a leading energy company… and working at DTE is more than just a job. At DTE, we take great care of each other and our customers, and we use our energy to be a force for growth and prosperity in our communities. When you join us, you’ll be part of a team that welcomes, recognizes, and celebrates differences and values everyone’s health, safety, and wellbeing. Are you ready to make that kind of difference? Bring your energy to DTE. Together, we can achieve great things.
Testing Required: Not Applicable
Hybrid Role: Must be able to come on-site periodically and reside a commutable distance from the assigned work location.
Emergency Response: Yes – Must be available to perform a primary assignment in support of DTE’s emergency response to storms or other events that impact service to our customers.
DTE’s Corporate and Government Affairs department seeks a Senior Strategist to develop and execute issue management strategies in alignment with DTE’s policy and operational goals. The work scope will primarily focus on collaboration with the cross-departmental teams responsible for DTE’s policy and regulatory outcomes, and message and content creation aligned with the targeted external audiences. The ideal candidate will thrive in an autonomous environment, deliver results through cross-functional collaboration, develop, and socialize executive-level presentations, and manage multiple projects at once.
Also, this role will perform short-term and long-term strategy development, analysis, and planning for the business unit, including five-year strategic plans, long-term integrated resource plans, operational plans, environmental strategy, and other strategic projects. Provides administration and analysis of research and coordinates regulatory rate cases, business unit performance reporting, and business plan deployment. Works closely with senior management and other areas of the company.
- Leads and provides support in developing the strategic presentations, executive summaries, and annual planning cycle deliverables for the company’s senior management and Board of Directors.
- Leads and facilitates the strategic update process, development of organizational scorecards, and creation of the business units’ annual operating plans.
- Analyzes the strategic, operating, and financial impacts of internal business proposals or external regulatory / legislative proposals. Develops recommendations and associated business cases in response to these proposals.
- Develops detailed financial models to support the long-term planning process as well as business cases for major projects/investments.
- Leads cross-functional teams to investigate, analyze, and make recommendations to senior management on current strategic or operational issues.
- Provides analytical and financial skills to the business units.
- Serves as an internal consultant to business units as required to support the overall strategy.
- Acts as liaison for various business unit and/or corporate initiatives, including strategic planning, human resources, communication, and regulatory initiatives.
- Researches and prepares internal and external communications for senior management.
- Uses continuous improvement tools to identify defects and improve processes.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of job-relevant experience (e.g., political science, public administration, public policy, communications, or related degree)
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, public policy, communications, or related degree.
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or Master’s degree in sustainability, public policy, public administration finance, business, or related degree
- Previous experience working on a political campaign, government office or department, or issue-based organization
- Understanding of the energy industry broadly, and the electric and natural gas utility sectors.
- Experience in distilling sophisticated policy, operations, and technology concepts into plain language
- Ability to quickly comprehend and break down complex topics into easily-digestible, succinct messages and talking points
- Ability to manage multi projects at once, including the origination of core objectives and strategies to implementation and project management while measuring performance against identified metrics
- Ability to think strategically and creatively while demonstrating strong analytical and facilitation skills, including research, data analysis, and benchmarking.
- Advanced PowerPoint, Excel, and presentation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with proven abilities to cohesively defend or justify recommendations.
- Ability to work professionally with individuals at all levels of the corporation and with outside consultants.
- Financial analysis and modeling skills and experience.
- Project management skills and experience.
Incumbents may engage in all or some combination of the activities and accountabilities, and utilize a variety of the competencies cited in this description depending upon the organization and role to which they are assigned. This description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents in this job. It is not intended as an all-inclusive list of accountabilities or responsibilities, nor is it intended to limit the rights of supervisors or management representatives to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
At DTE Energy, we are committed to providing an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and a sense of belonging. We seek individuals with a heart for service, a passion to help our communities prosper, and ideas to help shape the future of energy. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Job posted: 2022-11-07