Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Vice President, Communication and External Affairs
EdFarm | PROPEL is seeking an SVP of Communications and External Affairs to join the Executive Team and lead strategic, integrated communications for the organization. We are looking for a seasoned professional who can lead all external communications and media relations as well as internal messaging, who can drive our external and public affairs efforts and who can define strategies and plans and persistently drive high-quality execution.
EdFarm | PROPEL Overview
EdFarm was launched in February 2020 in Birmingham, AL to create a suite of signature programs designed to engage students, educators and adult learners in innovative digital skills experiences that better prepare them for the 21st-century workforce. In February 2021, EdFarm, in partnership with Apple and Southern, announced plans to launch the Propel Center, a physical and virtual hub based in Atlanta, GA that will partner with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to provide powerful learning experiences for HBCU students and staff and increase the pool of HBCU graduates entering and leading the innovation economy. Moving forward, EdFarm is expanding its programming and its footprint across the country to 1) Build on the existing programming and work taking place in Birmingham and expand our community-based offerings as part of EdFarm ENGAGE; 2) Launch EdFarm PROPEL in Atlanta in service of HBCUs across the country; and 3) Launch EdFarm ACCELERATE across the country to increase the pool of low income students college ready and HBCU-bound.
You are an experienced Communications/PR leader who will be at the forefront of educating external and internal stakeholders about EdFarm, our vision, and our work, through integrated communications campaigns. You will report to the COO and serve on the executive team. You will directly manage, develop, and grow our Communications capabilities and team from the ground up to execute strategic and community-centered messaging. You act with urgency, hold yourself to exceptionally high standards, and are deeply committed to serving low-income, BIPOC communities.
- Lead all external corporate communications, executive communications, and government and media relations, including crisis response, from defining a cohesive message across regions and business units to driving the execution of an integrated communication strategy
- Bring EdFarm’s story to life across varied stakeholders (communities, high schools and universities, corporations, funders, policymakers, etc), cutting through the noise to lift up our programs, brands, and executive voices
- Look around the corner to get ahead of external stories and set our own narrative
- Build and maintain strong relationships with media, thought leaders, and relevant stakeholders in the market. Identify opportunities proactively and execute strategically (pitches, interviews, op-eds, speaking engagements, tenacious follow-up)
- Manage agency relationships in support of corporate communications and public affairs initiatives as needed
- Build internal communications structures and strategies to engage and communicate key messages to employees, students, and other internal stakeholders
- Coordinate with various internal teams to support announcements, program updates, and more
- Keep a strategic eye on the business and a finger on the pulse of the organization to proactively identify internal communication needs and initiatives
- Provide coaching and guidance to the leadership team to ensure alignment with overall Comms/PR strategy and enhance their communication and presentation skills
- 15+ years of experience in communications or public relations; 5+ in a leadership role
- Demonstrated knowledge of integrated communications – digital, print, online, social – and how to leverage content strategies across channels
- Experience in building and managing integrated paid/earned/owned/social programs that deliver measurable results
- Demonstrated sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and passion for working with low-income, BIPOC communities
- Familiarity with HBCUs a strong plus
- A “doer” who is willing and able to roll up your sleeves and make sure goals are accomplished with a bias to action and outcomes
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for integrated plan development, slides, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, executive briefs, etc with a strong attention to detail
- Proven experience distilling complex ideas, details, and facts into clear and simple messages
- Exceptional ability to plan and prioritize multiple cross-regional/functional demands by exhibiting strong organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Excellent active listening, questioning, and facilitation skills
- Track record of success in fast-paced, growth-stage companies; ability to navigate start-up culture and build systems for scale
- Highly adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity and change
- High EQ
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
Atlanta preferred, with a willingness to travel
Ed Farm, as an organization, values work that promotes diversity, cultural understanding, and global awareness by using digital-age communication and collaboration tools to interact locally and globally with students, peers, parents, and the larger community. We are a team of individuals who are passionate about education. We believe that diversity of culture, backgrounds, opinions, and abilities is vital to our work, and our team welcomes anyone willing to build community through collaboration. Ed Farm works to eliminate all forms of disparity and discrimination, including those based upon an individual’s ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, belief, religion, faith, culture, level of ability, or socio-economic background. Diversity and inclusion are vital to bringing accessibility and equity to education, entrepreneurial, and tech workspaces everywhere.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a pre-employment criminal history background check with fingerprinting. Ed Farm is an equal opportunity employer committed to student success. We seek applications from all qualified persons who share this goal, including minorities, women, persons with disabilities and members of other protected groups.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-23