Senior Vice President of Government Affairs
The National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions (NAFCU) seeks a Senior Vice President of Government Affairs to serve as the head of the Government Affairs Department and provide leadership and supervision for a staff of more than 20 direct and indirect reports. This position reports to and assists the President/CEO in formulating NAFCU’s public policy positions on issues affecting federally-insured credit unions and developing and implementing a strategic plan for the achievement of specific legislative, regulatory, and political results on behalf of NAFCU’s members.
Who we are:
NAFCU is the leading trade association for America’s federally-insured credit unions. Our mission is to strengthen credit unions by providing our members and the credit union industry the absolute best in federal advocacy, education, and compliance assistance. Extreme member service and responsiveness is our hallmark. Our continued membership growth shows that we have what the industry is looking for.
Our team members are passionate about growth, innovation, and collaboration. We constantly are striving to improve and better ourselves so that we can better support our members. If you have a growth mindset and enjoy challenging work, you probably are a great fit for our team!
Who you are:
You are experienced in the legislative and political processes and have an interest in credit unions and what they offer to the community. You have exceptionally strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills, and enjoy the opportunity to advance important issues, whether on the Hill, in the Boardroom, with the media, in a written article, or in presenting to members. You can think on your feet and like to solve problems. You have strong people skills. You are technologically savvy. You have the ability to independently prioritize a varied workload and balance multiple tasks, projects, and audiences. You are a team leader and know what it takes to support and motivate the people who work for and with you. You hold yourself and others to a high standard.
What you’ll do:
- Assists the President & CEO in formulating NAFCU’s overall positions, policies, and strategic plans in the legislative, political, and regulatory arenas, consistent with the interests of NAFCU’s member credit unions and as directed by the Board of Directors.
- Manages the activities of the Government Affairs Department to ensure that these are effectively aligned with the strategic plans and objectives of the Association. Ensures that all activities of the Government Affairs Department are effectively coordinated both within the department and with other divisions and departments of the Association.
- Directly supervises the division managers of Legislative Affairs, Political Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Regulatory Compliance, and Research, including: selection of appropriate incumbents through NAFCU’s established recruitment and selection process, preparing Annual Performance Reviews for the incumbents, and providing appropriate and timely guidance and feedback to the incumbents for the effective execution of their responsibilities.
- Leads NAFCU’s ongoing efforts to continually enhance the federally-insured credit union charter.
- Establishes and maintains a broad, bi-partisan network of contacts within the current presidential administration, the Congress, federal regulatory agencies, and with other related organizations. Interacts strategically and proactively with officials in the administration, Congress, and federal regulatory agencies in order to help shape the federal legislative and regulatory agendas and influence the future direction of federal legislation and regulations.
- Represents NAFCU and its member credit unions before Congress, the administration, regulatory agencies, and before related industry and association meetings.
- Collaborates closely with the President & CEO and the Vice President of Communications & Media Relations to maintain and enhance NAFCU’s prominent visibility with the administration, Congress, and regulatory agencies, as well as within the credit union community and with related trade associations.
- Works with the President & CEO and the Vice President of Communications & Media Relations, as well as with the NAFCU Board of Directors and member credit unions, to formulate the Association’s positions on specific legislative, regulatory, and policy issues. Helps to develop policy positions that allow the Association to capitalize on opportunities and eliminate or minimize threats and obstacles.
- Anticipates relevant shifts and changes in the legislative and regulatory arenas and analyzes pending legislation or regulations that may have an impact on NAFCU and its member credit unions.
- Executes the budget of the Government Affairs Department, monitoring expenses monthly, and income and expenses for the Congressional Caucus, to ensure wise use of the members’ money.
- Attends meetings of NAFCU’s Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and other committee meetings as appropriate; and provides information, advice, and an inside perspective on strategic governmental issues.
- Provides NAFCU executives, members of the Board of Directors, committee members, and executives of member credit unions with information, advice, and an inside perspective on strategic governmental issues in a timely manner. Responds to members’ requests for information on current regulations and/or on current or emerging issues regarding legislation and/or regulation.
- Works closely and continuously with the President & CEO and the Vice President of Communications & Media Relations to position NAFCU with the credit union community, and with the administration, Congress, and regulatory agencies (with special emphasis on NCUA), as the first and best source of information about federally-insured credit unions and the legislative and regulatory issues that affect them.
- Ensures that all applicable NAFCU policies and rules, as well as all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, are scrupulously followed by all members of the Government Affairs staff.
- Speaks on behalf of NAFCU at the Association’s conferences, at meetings of related associations, at member credit unions’ strategic planning sessions, and at other appropriate venues.
- Continuously attends to the developmental needs of all department staff members, including direct and indirect reports, so as to develop and lead a high-performing team that is respected and highly regarded by Congress, the administration, and regulatory agencies and their staffs.
- Collaborates effectively with other NAFCU executives and Association staff at all levels to maintain highly effective working relationships across departmental and divisional lines within the Association.
- Advises and coordinates with the Vice President of Communications & Media Relations to ensure proactive press and trade coverage of the activities of the Government Affairs Department and individual staff members within the department.
- Directs grassroots initiatives as needed to influence legislation that will affect federal credit unions and the financial services industry in general.
- Acts as overall manager of the NAFCU/PAC, working with and through the Director of Political Affairs and the Sr. Associate Director of Political Affairs to carefully oversee fund solicitations, the budgets of the PAC and of the Administrative Fund, and fund disbursements to political candidates; and ensures that all required reports are accurate, in full compliance, and submitted to the FEC in a timely manner.
- Anticipates possible litigation by bankers and other groups; working with the legal counsel, advises the President & CEO and the Board of Directors of impending or potential litigation, and makes recommendations as to whether NAFCU should become a party to such litigation. Where NAFCU does become a party to litigation, the Senior Vice President for Government Affairs will manage and direct the activities of outside legal counsel on behalf of the Association.
- Ensures that the Association’s regulatory and legislative policies are posted, and updated in a regular and timely manner, on the NAFCU website.
- Minimum of a BA degree, preferably in political science or government. A Juris Doctorate, Master of Public Administration, or other advanced degree in a similar field is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in government affairs and/or politics at the federal level and established bi-partisan contacts with members of the current administration, Congress, and relevant regulatory agencies.
- Prior management-level experience in a trade association and/or in the financial services industry is preferred.
- Prior experience in credit union management and/or the ability to quickly and thoroughly grasp the specific issues, and their ramifications, that affect NAFCU and its member credit unions.
- Thorough understanding of the federal legislative and regulatory processes, including understanding of the roles and decision points in the federal executive branch, Congress, and regulatory agencies, and of the roles of trade associations, think tanks, and related organizations in developing federal policy. Must have a proven track record of successfully advancing important issues through the legislative and regulatory processes.
- Minimum of 5 years prior experience supervising professional-level staff.
- Minimum of 5 years prior experience providing advice at the strategic level to senior executives.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to establish effective goals and objectives, and develop a strong culture of teamwork and collaboration among both professional and administrative support staff members.
- Demonstrated skills and ability in building coalitions among a broad and varied constituency. Ability to find common ground among the interests of competing industry segments, so as to develop workable strategies in pursuit of a shared agenda.
- Strong reputation for integrity, ethical conduct, and loyalty.
- Excellent communication skills, to include written, oral, and public presentations. Must have demonstrated the ability to effectively communicate complex concepts and policies, and to persuasively advocate for programs and policies, at the highest levels of government and business.
- Established personal relationships with members and staff of relevant Congressional committees and with the leadership of the Senate and Congress.
- Proven strategic thinker, able to anticipate political and regulatory developments and their possible ramifications; and to prioritize many competing issues and objectives.
- Strong focus on serving the needs of NAFCU’s member credit unions.
- Keen political intuition and attention to details and attention to protocol, both in governmental relations and within the Association and its members.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a strong track record as an effective team player.
To apply, email your resume with a cover letter to our Director of Human Resources & Administration, Carol Browne, at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE
Job posted: 2021-05-30