Senior Vice President, Media Strategy
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is seeking a confident and dynamic Senior Vice President, Media Strategy to join the company’s fast-paced and growing Technology Practice. The ideal candidate will possess deep expertise in the art of the pitch and have a passion for coaching and shepherding others in the craft. We are an agency that takes our role as a resource to reporters and a storyteller for clients seriously. While you will be responsible for providing strategic media counsel to clients and securing coverage across our client roster, the ability to pass on knowledge and elevate the skills of team members with less experience is of equal importance.
The Communications world is often divided between advisers and doers – this is a role where mastery of both is required. You must be capable of providing a high level of strategic counsel to some of our most seasoned clients while also rolling up your sleeves and delivering results in the business and technology publications our clients covet.
In this role, you will often be in the position of offering senior clients and C-suite executives media insights and guidance. From a coaching perspective, your performance will also be judged by how well you coach up the rest of the team. As the senior most tech media relations pro with the company, you will be given the responsibility to build a thriving media practice within our Technology Practice. You must be able to nurture talent internally while also effectively maintaining supreme confidence among clients. To that end, you will be deeply entrenched on up to two important clients while contributing your media savvy to several others on an ongoing basis.
This leader will boast a proven record of media coverage wins and long-standing relationships with tier-one business and technology press. You must be a solutions-oriented person – not every announcement is newsworthy and not every pitch is pre-baked and ready for delivery right away. Can you take middling pitch angles and company news and help your clients tell stronger, more newsworthy stories? Can you teach less experienced media relations pros how to find the story – much like a journalist does?
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Providing strategic senior leadership and counsel, generating fresh, smart ideas and lead pitch efforts for clients
- Establishing strong and trusted relationships with clients as senior advisor on media best practices, pitching insights, and storytelling expertise
- Crafting thoughtful points of view and recommendations based on a broad understanding of media relations and client and competitive landscapes
- Developing client messaging and earned media strategy for senior C-suite leaders
- Directly managing and mentoring a collaborative team of smart and enthusiastic communications professionals
- Lead the development of media relations expertise both within the Technology Practice and the agency at-large
- Produce thoughtful content centered on driving awareness and understanding of the ever-changing media landscape
- Providing account oversight with a client-obsessed mindset and commitment to quality work that exceeds expectations
Attributes + Qualifications:
- 10-15 years of public relations experience; experience supporting B2B and B2C technology companies a plus
- High level business and technology media relations strategy and execution experience
- Strong corporate communications background and experience leading both internal and external communications campaigns for complex, global organizations
- Proven trusted client adviser: an active listener who builds strong partnerships and confidently offers counsel
- Strategic thinker: understands our clients’ business and communications challenges and develops smart, insight-driven strategies
- Creative spark: brings a fresh perspective to our clients and develops ideas that challenge conventions
- Passionate: Lives and breathes the client’s business. Understands the client’s pain points. Is an abstract thinker comfortable with ambiguity; understands the relationship between disparate pieces of information; is curious, questions the status quo, and is and an avid consumer of information
- People-centric: committed to the development of team members through active coaching and mentoring
- Progressive mind-set: interested in evolving communications and the role of PR within the marketing mix; brave enough to try new approaches and adopt new technologies and willing to take calculated risks to do better and more meaningful work
- Adaptable by nature with the ability to thrive under pressure and manage a variety of client contacts and priorities
- Energy and passion to contribute to and help foster a fun, collaborative and thriving office culture
What the role can offer you:
- The ability to work for an iconic, established agency with a ‘start up’ mentality and approach to business
- A chance to make an impact on the agency and elevate the role of earned media expertise inside the U.S. Technology Practice
- Competitive benefits package—including healthy vacation allotment, 401(k) matching, medical/dental/vision support, fitness reimbursement and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and a large, well known client brand
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills to become your professional best
- The opportunity to join the H+K leadership team representing one of the top PR firms in the country
Ready to learn more?
Please apply with your resume, cover letter and salary expectations.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with more than 85 offices around the world.
We believe that every corporation, every brand, every client has a public and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEO’s, reshape corporate and brand strategy,
kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
Join our team and harness the power of the public.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Hill+Knowlton Strategies does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin, or ancestry.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-23