Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Organization: Results for America
Role: Senior Writer
Results for America (RFA) is the leading, national nonprofit organization helping policymakers
at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve the world’s greatest
challenges. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that, one day,
all government leaders use rigorous evidence and quality data to inform important policy and
funding decisions. We believe that data-driven and evidence-based policy decisions could
significantly increase the impact of the over $2 trillion that governments spend annually to
advance economic mobility and racial equity.
RFA’s Strategic Communications and Events Team supports outreach, programming, and
branding for all of RFA’s federal, state, and local efforts.
The Senior Writer is responsible for writing and editing across RFA’s initiatives at every level
of government. This position will focus on writing op-eds, blogs, talking points for RFA
leaders and partners; press releases, blast emails, website content and social media for all
major RFA initiatives; editing RFA’s newsletters for federal, state and local policymakers,
education and workforce leaders, and RFA alumni; and working closely with all of RFA’s
program teams on impact storytelling that supports RFA’s work advancing economic mobility
and racial justice.
The ideal candidate will be a gifted writer and natural storyteller; an excellent editor who knows
the power of brevity in communications; a multi-tasker who can juggle multiple assignments
and meet overlapping deadlines; and a team-oriented communicator who can partner with
others to develop the most effective narratives that will break through in a crowded media
Position Reporting Relationship
The Senior Writer will report to RFA’s Vice President, Strategic Communications, and work
closely with the Executive Team and program leaders across RFA.
Position responsibilities will fall into three (3) main areas: writing, editing and communications
strategy. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Writing (60 percent)
● Drafting op-eds for placement in the media, as well as blogs;
● Drafting talking points and speeches for RFA leaders;
● Drafting press releases, blast emails, website materials and social media promoting
major new RFA initiatives, programs and reports;
● Writing for RFA leaders and key partners; and
● Drafting content to highlight key learnings from RFA events.
Editing (30 percent)
● Providing messaging guidance and editing support to RFA program leaders on
thought leadership pieces, talking points, and speeches;
● Providing editing support to RFA staff who write monthly newsletters for
education and workforce leaders, and federal, state and local policymakers; and
● Editing other materials, as needed, such as RFA reports and policy briefs,
website materials, event materials, and targeted communications to high-level
Communications Strategy (10 percent)
● Supporting content planning as part of RFA’s annual Strategic Communications Plan, as
well as specific plans around major releases;
● Managing an Editorial Calendar of ongoing content projects;
● Helping ensure that all of RFA’s communications have a consistent style and voice; and
● Providing strategic consulting to RFA program leaders and teams on ways to improve
All RFA employees are expected to participate in the organization’s diversity, equity, and
inclusion (DEI) efforts.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
● Bachelor’s degree and 8-10 years of work experience required;
● Experience as a journalist, writer, editor, speechwriter, or content manager who led
writing or editing in previous positions strongly preferred;
● Experience working in (or with) federal, state and local governments, or writing about
policy topics strongly preferred; and
● Experience with a range of office software, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint
● A talented writer, storyteller and editor, with a track record of producing numerous
published op-eds and articles
● A strong project manager, with an ability to work independently and to prioritize multiple
● A positive and creative problem-solver who enjoys working in a fast-paced and dynamic
● A talented team player, with the ability to build individual team relationships and to foster
collaboration across team members.
Salary and Benefits
At Results for America, all staff members currently receive a compensation package that
includes: (1) a salary aligned with RFA’s position level and salary bands and against similar
nonprofit organizations; and (2) a suite of benefits that includes a choice of medical and/or
vision and dental care, paid time off, a 403b retirement plan with employer match, and
education and commuter benefits. The salary range for this position is $82,000 – $98,000.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, resume and 5-10 writing samples
(different types of content) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email
should read “YOUR NAME – Senior Writer”.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer that values/celebrates diversity and that follows a
policy of making all employment decisions and personnel actions without regard to race,
color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, partnership status, personal
appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, family
responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, disability, status as a victim of domestic
violence, sexual offenses or stalking, military status, veteran status or any other category
protected under federal, state or local law.
Job posted: 2022-07-11