Social Impact and Digital Marketing Manager
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full time staff
LOCALITY: Brooklyn, NY, preferred, remote possible
SUPERVISING MANAGER: Senior Communications Manager
- Director of Strategic Impact
- Writer and Editorial Manager
- Communications Associate
For over 30 years, Rainforest Foundation US (RFUS) has worked to address climate change and safeguard biodiversity by promoting the rights of indigenous peoples and supporting their efforts to protect and defend their rainforests. Science shows that forests managed by indigenous peoples are healthier, suffer less deforestation, capture more carbon, and contain more biodiversity than forests managed by private or public entities–including nationally protected areas. What’s more, scientists tell us that protecting forests is as important as reducing greenhouse emissions if we hope to stem the tide of ecological collapse.
RFUS works in partnership with indigenous communities and their representative organizations to protect tropical rainforests by supporting their efforts to secure rights to their lands, strengthen monitoring and land security, influence laws and policies that protect their resources, and build strong and sustainable community leadership. By investing directly in indigenous communities, RFUS connects the people rooted in the land with the tools, training, and resources to be effective advocates and protectors of the forests they call home. RFUS currently operates four country programs in Brazil, Guyana, Panama and Peru, and hosts a number of regional partnerships in Central America, the Amazon Basin and across the tropical belt.
Rainforest Foundation US (RFUS) is recruiting a creative, strategic and skilled Social Impact & Digital Marketing Manager to enhance the profile of the organization as we grow and strengthen our engagement with our audience. The position plays an essential function of leading the organization’s digital engagement, marketing and advertising activities. The position achieves this by creating content for all digital community platforms and discrete communications for fundraising needs. The position also serves as the standard bearer of RFUS’s visual identity, ensuring that external communications reflect a consistent look and feel of the organizational brand. The candidate best suited for this role is an avid and passionate communicator who is technically proficient to efficiently and effectively create content attuned for segmented audiences.
RFUS is set to significantly increase its impact in the coming years and the communications department plays a critical role in ensuring audiences are informed of our accomplishments and ambitions, and inspired to join us in scaling up nature and community-based solutions to the climate crisis. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team to produce measurable impact in the years to come.
The role reports to the Senior Communications Manager and will manage external communications contractors, such as photographers, designers, marketing and advertising agencies, etc., to help support and execute functional responsibilities.
- Leads the development of the organization’s digital engagement, marketing and advertising strategies, pursuing and implementing the latest best practices and new trends in the field
- Leads content production for the organization’s social media, newsletters, emails, digital advertising and direct mailings, as well as for discrete fundraising needs
- Produces and repurposes original and third-party visuals, graphics or maps for a wide range of applications, including the website and newsfeed, direct mail, newsletters, emails, social media, fundraising communications, press needs and video
- Actively manages the organization’s social media platforms (currently Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Youtube), including preparing, scheduling, and promoting posts and covering all areas of engagement (commenting, answering private messages, etc.) to foster and build community; identifies and adopts new tools to enhance community engagement
- Manages the development of RFUS’s branding kit, contributing to visual identity standards, guidelines and policies, and proofs products for quality, clarity, accuracy, and consistency in its application
- Supports engagement with influencers/ambassadors, especially as it relates to those active on social media, and leads outreach and cultivation of new content partnerships
- Evaluates results of communications metrics relevant to the position and incorporates learning to improve impact over time
- 2-4 years experience managing organization-wide social media platforms, including digital advertising and email marketing, with proven success in cultivating new audiences and raising funds
- Proven track record at developing and/or implementing an organizational identity
- Proficiency in Canva as well as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience employing new and innovative community engagement tools
- Working knowledge of WordPress and online emailing platforms, such as MailChimp
- Detail-oriented and able to produce quality outputs in a timely manner
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete work independently
- Delivering climate action related campaigns or supporting climate related causes
- Experience with social video production using Premiere and After Effects and/or other media production platforms
- Expert knowledge of SproutSocial or other social media scheduling tool
- Experience in producing hard-copy communications collateral, such as trifolds, annual reports, etc.
- Experience working with local and indigenous communities
- Full professional proficiency in English is required
- Professional working proficiency in Spanish is required
- Professional working proficiency in Portuguese is a strong advantage
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience. Full time employees (40+ hours a week) are entitled to full health, vision, and dental insurance as well as 20 days per year of vacation leave, closed offices from Christmas to New Year’s Day (inclusive) plus the 10 additional federal holidays. Beyond this, employees are entitled to 10 days per year of sick leave, 2 days per year of personal days, 3 days for bereavement leave per event, up to 12 weeks of parental leave, and accommodations for additional time off under extraordinary circumstances. For this role, nights or weekends will not be expected except possibly during work-related travel, in which case compensatory time will be accrued.
Rainforest Foundation US prides itself on providing a flexible, equitable, family-friendly and inclusive work environment that values work-life balance. Our offices are pet friendly and located in an historic downtown Brooklyn neighborhood that is easily accessible by public transit and boasts a wide range of restaurants and services. Since the pandemic, employees can come into the office as they wish or negotiate with their supervisors to work from home or remotely.
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study the job description and reflect in the cover letter how your work and experience helps you meet the requirements and skills we are looking for. Applications will not be considered without the submission of a cover letter and a resume. Providing a link to a portfolio of past work is an advantage.
Please send full application to email@example.com using subject line: “POSITION TITLE – YOUR NAME”
Any position-related questions may also be directed to this email address. Please note that the position will be listed as open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
The candidate must possess the legal requirements to work in the United States; Rainforest Foundation US will not sponsor visas for international candidates.
Black, indigenous and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Rainforest Foundation US does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Rainforest Foundation US is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Job posted: 2021-10-11