Social Media Associate
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking a Social Media Associate to join our team. The Social Media Associate will assist a fast-moving communications team in creating compelling content for our social media audiences that drives attention to our organization’s work and priorities.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office. This position requires occasional evening and weekend work, and up to 10 percent travel once it begins again. As the safety and wellbeing of our team is of utmost importance, all Giffords staff members are working remotely until it is safe for us to resume working in an office, traveling, and holding in-person meetings.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a daily content calendar for social media that drives our message, priorities, and story in the fight to save lives from gun violence
- Identify news, trends, other opportunities to engage with or amplify partners
- Draft content responding to breaking news
- Compile and analyze social media metrics to determine outcomes and shape our social strategy
- Assist in monitoring and responding to social comments and messages
- Work with digital and design teams to conceptualize and develop captivating graphics, videos, etc.
- Collaborate with Digital Communications Manager on social media strategies and/or campaigns around major legislation, elections, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Essential knowledge, skills + experience
- One to three years of experience managing a public-facing social media account for an organization or public figure, preferably with a policy, political, or advocacy focus
- Experience working in a fast-paced digital media environment under tight deadlines with shifting priorities
- Strong interest in and commitment to gun violence prevention and racial justice work
- Ability to learn and embody the voice of an organization or individual
- Superior organizational skills and an exemplary attention to detail
- Curiosity and willingness to bring new ideas to a team
- Strong interpersonal skills, sense of humor, and ability to collaborate well on a team
- Successful candidates will be ready to learn and take on special projects over time
Valued non-essential knowledge, skills + experience
- Basic knowledge of WordPress and/or Adobe Creative Suite products
Salary + benefits
The salary range for this position begins at $45,000 with the exact salary depending on experience. Competitive benefits include employer funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with 4% employer match; 25 days of PTO annually; and paid holidays.
Applying + the interview process
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-25