Social Media / Communications Specialist
ASRC Federal AFSS is a premier provider of systems engineering, software engineering, system integration and project management services for real-time, mission-critical defense systems. We are seeking a Social Media / Communications Specialist to support a NASA contract in Greenbelt, MD.
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) is home to the largest organization of scientists and engineers who build spacecraft and instruments to study the Earth, the solar system, the stars, and the very edge of space and time. The team searches the universe for answers and build upon ideas that have guided generations, sharing discoveries to inspire generations to come.
ASRC is seeking a social media/communications specialist to assist GSFC’s Office of Communications in its mission to share NASA’s mission results with the widest possible audience.
ASRC’s social media team is integrated into the busy GSFC newsroom. The selected candidate will be working with a world class team of video producers, science writers, data visualizers, animators, scientists and engineers to share discoveries from NASA’s most exciting stories in astrophysics, planetary science, heliophysics, and Earth science.
- Write short-form products, create and post content across Goddard’s social media platforms including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.
- Create integrated social media campaigns that are coordinated with writers, video producers, and the NASA’s Office of Communications.
- Engage other social media professionals through a variety of outreach events, live-stream events, satellite media tours, or press conferences.
- Create social media posts for Goddard leadership/managers.
- Create social media metrics reports enhancing the team’s understanding of social media channels and measuring audience engagement.
- Work with science writers and video producers to post features on NASA.gov.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media writing, copy editing, and ability to distill complex science and engineering topics into concise, accurate, colorful and descriptive material that are visually appealing, easily understood by general media and the public, while providing enough detail for dedicated science and technology journalist.
- Experience creating visually rich content using video, images, graphics, text and live streaming video content.
- Experience working in fast-paced environments, with proven ability to meet deadlines, handle breaking news, simultaneously juggling multiple projects and dealing with numerous people and teams.
- Familiarity of social media metrics and analytic tools.
- Possess genuine curiosity about the world and enthusiasm for sharing scientific and technological discoveries with the public.
- Ideal candidate will have experience in social media and journalism or corporate communications with knowledge and understanding of industry best practices.
- Experience working with video and multimedia content with the purpose of creating social media products is a plus.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and content management tools.
- Newsroom experience and knowledge of AP Style and copy editing.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment; ability to interact with all levels of professionals.
- Internal drive and motivation to learn and perform with a high level of productivity.
- Must be able to meet the demands of a fast-paced dynamic office environment.
- Take independent initiative as delegated and appropriate.
- Individual must meet government NAC and citizenship/permanent residency requirements for access to NASA GSFC. Extensive background investigation will be performed as a requirement of the job.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, science writing, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree.
ASRC Federal and its Subsidiaries Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, gender, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, religion, marital status, ancestry, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, or any other factor prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-03