Social Media & Content Strategist – State Politics, Washington
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ+ people, to join our team.
The Social Media and Content Strategist – State Politics reports directly to the Deputy Director of Digital and Social – Politics and helps to shape HRC’s social and content strategy supporting our state-focused work to advance LGBTQ+ rights and protect those who are multiply marginalized. This position will work cross-departmentally across HRC, especially with our political and public affairs team (PPA). HRC is currently operating remotely; applicants should be prepared to work out of our headquarters in Washington, D.C. when we reopen.
- With supervision from senior staff, create and manage social media content for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok, and draft and manage ongoing content for HRC’s website.
- Participate in and begin to show independent judgment and discretion to coordinate and implement digital strategy with key internal and external stakeholders including HRC’s political and communications staff, HRC’s membership team, advocates and organizers and progressive partners.
- Assist in rapid response social strategy. Identify digital opportunities to leverage breaking news and the 24-hour news cycle.
- Support state-based staff and partners in the creation and distribution of social media toolkits, graphics, videos and web content, and look toward tying state-based work together into a national narrative to help Americans understand the impact of state legislative developments across the country.
- Ground our work in storytelling, working across departments at HRC to lift up the voices of those directly impacted and to ensure that those voices are front and center on our digital platforms.
- When we return from remote work, capture live photos and video for social posts, such as Instagram stories, Twitter threads and TikTok posts.
- Work collaboratively with our political, video, design, communications and membership (email and SMS) teams to plan for and execute major initiatives.
- Maintain the integrity and quality of HRC’s online properties through ongoing review and maintenance, quality assurance testing, updating out-of-date content and purging/archiving expired content.
- Peer edit teammates’ writing including, but not limited to social media language and website content with meticulous attention to detail.
- Recommend and initiate the use of new technologies and improvements to our work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required with at least two-to-four years of experience in social and content strategy.
- Interest in and expertise with social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and TikTok, and management tools like Tweetdeck Buffer, or Sprout Social.
- Experience with social media reporting and analytics.
- Experience with content management systems.
- A skilled writer and creative, empathetic thinker who can take complicated issues and translate them into plain language or visual concepts suited for communicating online.
- Ability to identify strategic opportunities for HRC and partner organizations to engage online to advance LGBTQ+ equality,
- Self-starter able to pitch, strategize, project manage and execute integrated campaigns across teams
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with political campaigns or advocacy organizations preferred.
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position requires some evening and weekend work responsive to current events;
- Personal interest in and alignment with HRC’s values, and with the broader fight for LGBTQ+ equality.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-02