Social Media and Digital Outreach Coordinator – External Relations
CSIS is seeking a Social Media and Outreach Coordinator starting immediately. The position joins a dynamic and fast-paced team to help execute the Center’s bipartisan communication efforts as part of the Office of External Relations (ER). This position will work closely with the Chief Communications Officer, other department staff, and CSIS’s research programs on a wide range of social and digital media outreach efforts.
CSIS is a top ranked policy organization and a leading think tank on outreach, with strong presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, a range of podcast platforms, and more. The position supports enhancing the Center’s digital brand and presence, including increasing the size and diversity of our audience and digital engagement while also deepening it with our core and existing audiences, and communicate CSIS’s policy work and expertise through compelling digital outreach. We continuously strive to increase our efforts and pursue new approaches to further our policy reach, impact, and audience engagement.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated, entrepreneurial, a self-starter with strong initiative and drive, and a great team player who possesses excellent communication and editorial skills, attention to detail, project management skills, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and innovative environment.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Manage and develop content for all CSIS main social and digital media accounts;
• Regularly produce short videos and compelling visual and/or digital content;
• Work closely with CSIS programs on digital outreach of their work and to enhance their social media efforts;
• Assist with writing, layout, and distribution of ER mailings, including The Evening CSIS, By the Numbers, and other regular mailings;
• Track, compile, and analyze social and digital media outreach analytics and metrics, including for regular reporting and as basis for strategic recommendations;
• Conduct trainings and help develop guides and templates to enhance social media efforts and promote best practices across the Center;
• Stay up-to-date of current and emerging trends in digital media and make recommendations for how the Center can use new platforms and tools to support and further its mission and reach;
• Work collaboratively with the entire ER team and other departments and programs to identify opportunities for cross-promotion and enhanced digital content strategies;
• Assist with identifying growth opportunities, strategies, and tactics to help the Center and its programs meet mission objectives and grow digital engagement, including through organic and paid advertising efforts;
• Ensure all social media content reflects CSIS’s voice, mission, values, and fundamental approach to policy analysis and recommendations;
• Support with planning, execution, and dissemination of ER-led events as needed, including the Schieffer Series;
• Assist with special initiatives as needed on a program-wide basis;
• Other duties and support as needed.
Knowledge, education, and experience
• Bachelors’ degree in relevant field (i.e. public relations, communications, journalism, political science, or related area);
• Minimum one year of relevant experience;
• Strong communication, editorial, and writing skills, including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wider variety of partners and constituents;
• Strong organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize, track, and accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously in a dynamic and fast-paced environment;
• Flexible, positive, collaborative, action-oriented attitude and professional approach;
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and in a team with a range of individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
• Working knowledge of popular digital, design, or outreach tools a plus, i.e. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Wochit, Wave, Camtasia, and/or others.
• Strong professional judgement, maturity, and discretion.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume through the CSIS website at https://careers.csis.org/. Finalists will be asked for references. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Physical requirements and work conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2020-06-03