Social Media Director
Stand Up America is a progressive, digital-first advocacy organization with over 2 million grassroots members who are working to stand up to corruption and build a more representative democracy. We’re fighting for democracy reforms at the local, state, and federal level that would expand voting rights, reduce the impact of big money in our politics, and end structural barriers that conservatives have built to impede progressive change. Our members have driven more than a million constituent calls to their representatives, mobilized tens of thousands of protestors, contacted tens of millions of voters, and helped pass bold democracy reforms at the state and federal levels.
We envision a democracy where:
- Every American has representation, regardless of where they live, what they look like, or how they identify.
- Racist barriers to the ballot are torn down and voting rights are expanded to ensure that voting is accessible, secure, and treated as the sacred right that it is.
- Americans from all walks of life can run for office and win based on the power of their ideas, voice, and experience — not on how much money they can raise from themselves or wealthy donors.
- Our government is responsive to the will of the American people — and will finally take bold action on the pressing issues facing our nation, from gun violence and climate change to immigration reform and racial & economic justice.
Our social media team reaches millions of Americans every week. In 2020, our social posts had over 300 million organic views and 40 million engagements. Our Facebook & Instagram pages have some of the highest reach and engagement rates of any progressive organization.
We’re looking for a social media director to lead the development and execution of Stand Up America’s organic social media strategy, with a proven track record of building highly engaged digital communities, driving online conversions, and increasing brand awareness.
The social media director will report to our digital director and spearhead a mission-driven & energetic social media team of two that is fully remote for now.
- Collaborate with other digital team members and senior staff to develop effective and innovative social media strategies, including rapid response plans, to meet Stand Up America’s advocacy goals
- Manage the social media content calendar and partnerships to help achieve our political and communications objectives
- Draft, edit and approve social content that translates communications guidance into messaging and calls to action suitable for audiences on each platform, including video scripts, graphic explainers, and curating content from elected officials, partner orgs, and influencers
- Directly manage and mentor our digital social media strategist
- Continue to develop a cohesive brand across multiple social media platforms that aligns with our organizational voice
- Grow our social media audience and increase its age and racial diversity
- Work with partner organizations and social influencers to amplify our message and advance organizational goals
- Collaborate with our design team to produce social graphics and video content
- Work closely with our analytics and data team to optimize strategies and content and increase engagement
- Develop relationships across the progressive movement to amplify key messages
- Monitor social media trends and emerging practices, and evaluate and recommend new platforms for adoption.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- A proven track record of running successful social media campaigns
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid response scenarios
- Experience working in a fast-paced advocacy or electoral environment
- A deep understanding of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & TikTok
- Passion for for voting rights, reducing the influence of big money in our elections, and democracy reform
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics tools
- Experience drafting and deploying content for influencers, thought leaders, or high-profile personalities
- Experience using social media to drive meaningful actions
- Management experience
- A strong understanding of democracy and voting rights advocacy
Stand Up America celebrates diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, class, ability, life experiences, and background. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer — women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Stand Up America’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is key to our mission of building a more representative democracy and reforming a political system that has given white, wealthy Americans a louder voice and more power than Black, Indigenous, and people of color for far too long. For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion internally and in our advocacy efforts, click here.
Salary & Benefits
Our benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, including 100% subsidy of monthly premiums
- SIMPLE IRA with matching of employee contributions up to 3% of salary
- 3 weeks flexible paid time off per calendar year, plus an additional week in December, for a total of 4 weeks per year
- Additional paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Annual professional development stipend
- Computer and accessories for at-home and in-office work
- A fun work environment with colleagues who are respectful of one another and passionate about their work.
Salary: $90,000+ commensurate with experience.
*We are currently fully remote with team members located across the country. Once our New York City office re-opens, employees may choose to work from the office all or part of the time or choose to work remotely on a permanent basis. All employees will be required to attend some in-person meetings and retreats throughout the year, with travel expenses paid for by Stand Up America.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-19