Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Social Media & Marketing Communications Manager, Advocacy
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation’s leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Common Sense’s advocacy agenda – reforming tech policy to protect kids and families and strengthen our democracy – are front and center in Washington D.C., across the U.S., and in international arenas. Common Sense is hiring an Advocacy Social Media and Marketing Communications Manager to ensure that its media profile, especially on social media, adequately reflects the leading role the organization plays in the policy and advocacy space for kids and families, including through the voice of its Founder & CEO and the Advocacy team.
The Advocacy Social Media and Marketing Communications Manager will build and manage the social media presence for the Common Sense Advocacy team and grow the social media profile of our Founder & CEO. The Manager will also support the Advocacy team’s overall work to communicate the impact of tech and media on kids and families, and serve as a bridge between the Advocacy team and the broader organization and brand.
Common Sense recognizes both the benefits and harms from social media use and is looking for a talented professional who understands these complex issues and can communicate them in compelling, concise, and visually well-designed ways that resonate with and grow our core audiences.
This is a new position at Common Sense. The ideal candidate is creative, hardworking, takes initiative, is passionate about our mission, and, of course, is an excellent writer and overall communicator. They will understand how to leverage Twitter products and other relevant social media; success in this role will include the ability to measurably demonstrate growth in Common Sense’s Advocacy presence on social media to advance our broader goals. They will be interested in spending their days scripting tweets, other types of posts, and talking points, as well as iterating on new strategies to get our messages out to the world.
LOCATION: Washington, DC (preferred) or San Francisco, CA
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Chief Advocacy Officer
Core responsibilities include:
- Lead the Common Sense Advocacy team’s day-to-day social media engagement: Develop and execute Advocacy social media strategy, in partnership with the Chief Advocacy Officer and Communications team, including managing daily Twitter use, and drafting tweets or other social media as relevant, as well as building and growing a social media audience and profile for Common Sense’s core Advocacy issues.
- Manage the day-to-day social media for Common Sense’s Founder & CEO: Develop and execute a Twitter strategy, in partnership with the Chief of Staff and Communications team, that is integrated with Advocacy and the broader Common Sense Media brand. Draft and drive daily tweets, manage other social media channels as relevant, engage key stakeholders and partners on social media, and develop strategies to build social media profile.
- Drive social media for Advocacy special projects at the intersection of tech and media, policy, and kids and families.
- Work closely with the Common Sense Media Marketing and Communications teams to create social media messaging and help ensure that it is consistent with the Common Sense brand across teams.
- Serve as the main liaison between Advocacy, Marketing, and Product, with strategic support from Senior Director of Marketing and Communications. Draft first approaches to all Advocacy team marketing materials and campaigns, blogs, creative briefs, web copy, etc.
- 4+ years of marketing and/or communications experience, including in social media.
- Passion for the Common Sense mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator. Experience with short-form, concise writing for external audiences and ability to translate complex policy issues into relatable and appealing messages, tweets, or media.
- Experience managing social media, preferably Twitter, for a major organization or campaign, and demonstrated experience building and growing a brand or personal profile.
- Experience using a variety of digital communications tools.
- Knowledge of and interest in Common Sense’s core Advocacy issues, such as tech policy, democracy and governance, education, or child-related policy. Professional experience working with these issues in industry, government, politics, or the nonprofit sector is preferred.
- Fast learner; ability to quickly familiarize yourself with Common Sense’s positions and adopt the unique voice of our Founder & CEO.
- Facility in interacting across levels of an organization.
- Ability to work well under pressure and fast deadlines.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Great health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Job posted: 2022-01-11