Social Media & Media Relations Manager
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide
*This role typically is located in our downtown Chicago office (preferred) or our Lake Forest headquarters, but due to COVID-19 will be fully virtual until further notice. Once these office locations have a return to work plan, the team member will be required to be on-site.
The Social Media & Media Relations Manager is responsible for developing and executing integrated traditional and social media programs to enhance the awareness, understanding and reputation of Grainger among customers, communities and other key stakeholders primarily in the U.S. through the placement of targeted media coverage and promotion on social media. This role ensures messages are aligned with Grainger brand and tailored for local relevance.
The role works with business partners to identify and leverage topics, trends and events to garner media coverage and external awareness. The role also measures, analyzes and reports overall media results and metrics to key stakeholders.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with targeted organization leaders, business counterparts and corporate partners to identify opportunities, topics, trends and events that can be leveraged externally to garner media coverage and publicity.
- Provide communications solutions and counsel to team, leaders and corporate partners that deliver compelling messages aligned with corporate strategy and properly reflect the Grainger brand, both externally and internally.
- Raise visibility of the Grainger brand at targeted events and tradeshows through social media efforts, the development of media-focused materials (press releases, fact sheets, messaging, etc.) and by providing onsite support when necessary for media interviews.
- Develop, maintain and enhance relationships with targeted media, to help increase awareness and understanding of Grainger and its value proposition, and to position Grainger as a thought leader on key issues.
- Identify and secure media interviews and lead media training with selected spokespeople to prepare them for successful media interactions.
- Develop collateral to support communications efforts, including communications plans, talking points, press releases, by-lined articles, media kits, case studies, online copy, etc. Ensure company messages are articulated in a compelling and consistent manner.
- Measure, analyze and report the impact of communication activities on a regular basis.
- Monitor news and events to collect intelligence on relevant trends and topics Grainger can speak to and follow-up with appropriate media to secure “day two” opportunities.
- Manage key projects with multiple variables, including distribution center or facility grand openings.
Education & Experience:
- Five+ years of experience in media relations, corporate communications or business equivalent. Agency experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of how to initiate and cultivate positive working relationships with media contacts and a proven record of success securing coverage that aligns with client/company strategy.
- Experience in developing and implementing a social media program to help raise the visibility of a company/culture.
- Ability to translate complex business issues into readily understandable, creative and strategic communications for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal, editorial, written and verbal communication skills, which includes writing for different stakeholders and through different channels, including digital channels.
- Strong leadership skills that foster teamwork, mutual support, personal responsibility and accountability.
- Ability to develop solid working relationships with business leadership, team leaders and employees across the organization.
- Ability to counsel and make effective recommendations to clients.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, combined with the ability to conceptualize, manage and complete multiple projects with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to handle sensitive or proprietary company material in a confidential manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or journalism preferred.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-23