Social Media Strategist
Develop strategies and opportunities for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to maximize its social media footprint and expand its reach on digital platforms, including evaluating new platforms and tactics and making recommendations for how the AAP should engage. Oversee all social media content development across multiple channels and lead internal collaborations with relevant AAP staff to ensure consistent messaging across all social platforms.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Oversee social media strategy and implementation plans for all AAP social media accounts, including maintaining and populating daily social media feeds, developing social media campaigns, overseeing rapid response efforts, and recommending proactive engagement opportunities for owned accounts.
2. Advise the Senior Director, Advocacy Communications about emerging trends and best practices in social media and how the AAP can maximize its reach and impact.
3. Offer expertise to AAP members and staff on how to effectively use social media.
4. Collaborate closely with advocacy and external affairs as well as other relevant AAP staff to ensure all social communications are aligned with AAP positions, plans, and objectives.
5. Develop and advise on graphical and video content for owned accounts.
6. Monitor social media activity of AAP members and related social media accounts, as well as external stakeholders and organizations active in health policy and/or children’s health, to build potential opportunities for partnership, learn effective industry trends, and proactively detect emerging issues across social media channels.
7. Regularly and proactively engage with AAP chapters and members on social media platforms.
8. Lead social media components of AAP-led media, public awareness, and advocacy campaigns.
9. With the Senior Director, Advocacy Communications, advise on crisis management strategies for owned accounts.
10. Develop and update guidelines for AAP staff and members for effective social media use.
11. Manage and maintain the voice of the AAP brand and build and maintain positive relationships while engaging in direct dialogue with relevant social media constituents, including but not limited to AAP members, chapters, partner organizations, and other key stakeholders.
12. Supervise assigned staff. Encourage a work environment that promotes inclusion and belonging of all staff. Support ongoing staff development, help set objectives, and evaluate performance, and promote and enhance staff capacity in skills necessary to achieve goals.
13. Support internal management activities related to AAP social media.
14. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s in communications, journalism, marketing, or related discipline required.
Five years’ related experience managing social media platforms required, including the development, execution, and analysis of social communications and use of tools and platforms to track and assess social media efficacy. Must have knowledge of current best practices on managing social media driven crises. Digital advocacy and non-profit medical association experience preferred.
Must be an exceptional writer with the ability to draft clear and concise social media content, and clearly articulate complex or unfamiliar social media issues and ideas to internal audiences. Strong technical acumen essential with proficiency in MS Office and Internet sourcing, mastery of core social media platforms and blogs, and the ability to learn and apply new and trending platforms; experience with virtual meeting platforms (eg, WebEx, Teams) preferred. Must be a creative, strategic thinker able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, respond quickly to time-sensitive matters, work both independently and as part of a team, effectively collaborate with various internal and external constituents, and promote and maintain a positive and cooperative team-oriented work environment with a commitment to diversity. Excellent project management, analytical, and critical thinking skills required. Some weekend work and regular travel required.
To learn more about the organization, see a full job description, and/or apply for the position, please visit https://www.aap.org/employment.
The AAP offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. As a reaffirmation to our employee-focused culture, since 2005 the AAP has been named one of the 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in the Chicagoland area. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans that values the strength diversity brings to our workplace.
Reasonable Accommodation: Individuals with a disability in need of a reasonable accommodation regarding the job application process may call 630-626-6297. Please note, only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-15