Special Projects Senior Associate, Communications
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
The Communications Special Projects Senior Associate plays a significant role in designing and implementing Women Deliver’s strategic communications for research, media relations, and special projects within the organization. The role’s portfolio will include packaging and dissemination of research by partners, the rollout of major new Women Deliver research, Women Deliver’s new strategic plan, and Women Deliver’s work putting a gender lens on COVID-19 efforts. The role will also work on media relations, including managing partnerships, responding to journalist requests, and coordinating and executing media pitching and outreach. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Communications and works closely with the Director of Communications and the Senior Manager of Research.
Research Projects (40%)
- Works in close consultation with the Research Team to apply a communications lens to our research work from beginning to end, making sure that the results are easily digestible and the format is useful for targeted audiences, including decision-makers and fellow advocates.
- Develops communications strategy for Women Deliver’s research work, from the ideation around research projects through the dissemination of final products.
- Works with the Senior Manager of Research to project manages the development of research reports and papers, including copy editing, reviews, and design.
- Manages dissemination of new Women Deliver research, including creating and executing a communications plan (including events during key moments such as UNGA, CSW, and Generation Equality Forum).
- Oversees the creation of necessary promotion materials of research products across multiple platforms, including, but not limited to: presentations, digital content, video, photography, website content, blogs, social media posts, e-blasts, collateral materials, external reports, press releases, media pitches, and donor reports.
- Aligns research communications with Women Deliver’s broader communication efforts.
- Manages relationships with external communications colleagues at partner organizations and external communications firms to support co-branded design and dissemination of joint research.
- Coordinates among the research team and the communications team an ongoing dissemination plan for the amplification of research and evidence produced both internally and by partner organizations.
- Manages a calendar of promotional materials that pulls together evidence and research from various sources in a way that crafts an ongoing narrative.
- Expands contacts with communication teams of research-oriented organizations around the globe (focus on the global south) and tracks their key communication activities and products.
Media Relations (30%)
- Leads coordination of media relations within the organization.
- Ensures media outreach during peak times is coordinated.
- Manages and expands the press contacts database; completing media mapping as needed.
- Distributes press releases and other briefing materials to the media in coordination with the overall Communications Team.
- Oversees the “on call” system to respond to media requests during non-business hours.
- Creates standard briefing packets for interviews.
- Builds the profile of Women Deliver through work with media.
- Proactively pitches interviews with key Women Deliver staff, as well as stories and content that helps to increase the visibility of Women Deliver, our partners, and our issues.
- Organizes and facilitates trainings with journalists, and oversees journalist partnerships, including grants.
- Supports institutional op-ed strategy.
- Coordinates and manages press requests, connecting the media with Women Deliver spokespeople, including the President/CEO, senior management team, and Women Deliver affiliates including Young Leaders and Humanitarian Advocates, and ensuring they are properly prepared with briefing materials such as talking points and difficult Q&As.
- Supports communications planning for key events such as CSW, Davos, G7, and UNGA.
General Communications Support and other Special Projects (30%)
- Oversees communications plans and execution on various special projects as identified and prioritized by the Communications Management Team.
- Manages communications strategy and execution for key Institutional priorities as they arise, such as putting a gender lens on COVID-19 response and recovery and rolling out Women Deliver’s new strategic plan.
- Leads communications strategy for the Business Ally Network, in close coordination with the Communications Associate for Deliver for Good.
- Supports the management of relevant relationships and project plans, timelines, and budgets with work that may require external consultants or vendors (e.g., designers, printers, editors, videographers, photographers, digital and communications consultants, etc.).
- Organizes and attends meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events, as requested.
- Helps build tools needed by the Communications Team, such as production plan templates, briefing templates, and others.
- Supervises interns and consultants, as needed.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide communications planning efforts.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- Commitment to Women Deliver’s mission, purpose, and values.
- BA/BS required; Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum 4-6 years of media/communications work experience.
- PR or Communications Agency experience not required, but a plus.
- Expertise in gender equality, international maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights, climate change and/or economic justice issues preferred.
- Experience converting technical information into advocacy-friendly materials.
- Exposure to non-US based media outlets and organizations preferred.
- Experience working with data visualization platforms preferred (e.g. Tableau, Adobe After Effects).
- Solid knowledge of and experience with developing and executing advocacy and communications strategies using research, public events, and media – particularly in an international context.
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit – must be able to own multiple projects at the same time from start to finish, and work well with others during the process.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically, ensuring both big-picture and smaller-scale assignments are performed with excellence; mindset of flawless execution in all assignments.
- Exceptional listener and communicator – written and oral – with high attention to detail.
- Skilled in prepping spokespeople for interviews, including writing briefings and doing in-person trainings.
- Experience working with communications and PR firms preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize many different ideas, connecting the dots and crafting rich content for a range of audiences.
- Must be highly organized, with a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation, writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once.
- Available to work overtime when needed.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed.
- Must be able eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Job posted: 2020-06-12