Specialist, Communications and Content
SUMMARY: The Specialist, Communications & Content provides accurate, strategic and responsive
communications support that delivers clear and consistent messaging across platforms. In this role, s/he
creates content that informs and engages various internal and external stakeholders. S/he will help
deliver professional communications, public relations and marketing activities that increase ABET brand
This role interacts directly with internal and external stakeholders, including our staff, ABET Experts,
member societies and vendors, and requires a high level of professionalism and integrity. Tasks include
writing on-brand content for a variety of mediums and audiences. The position is also involved in
establishing positive relationships with key constituents to help inform messaging. In this position, s/he
combines interviews, research and data-driven insights to create compelling storytelling that promotes
the brand and informs the public.
The Specialist, Communications and Content reports directly to the Director, Communications and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Under the guidance of the Director, Communications & Marketing (MarComm), create materials with
consistent messaging across channels, primarily online
• Maintain ABET’s social media presence on various platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter,
Vimeo and Instagram; create and share content to drive engagement, grow following and increase
• Write, edit and update content for ABET website, including: press releases, profiles, announcements
and other external communications; and assist in the launch of future publications
• Responsible for the creation and distribution of ABET’s newsletters, from writing stories, to
gathering content and visuals to sending it out to our subscribers, with team input as needed
• Conduct print and video interviews with constituents for use in MarComm materials
• Produce and edit short videos to support marketing and communications strategy as needed
• Use research to support and inform ABET’s business goals and strategies as needed
• Support ABET’s presence in external events, such as expositions, advertising campaigns, etc.
• Write, proofread and update public relations and marketing materials and oversee their distribution
• Update and maintain information databases for the department
• Assist Executive Office with public relations, communications (writing, editing, proofreading) and
publishing materials on various channels
• Ensure brand tone/voice and strategic consistency across all marketing collateral, as well as accuracy
• Serve as liaison to communications consultants
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position has no supervisory responsibility.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The required skills listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications or related discipline or equivalent
• 3-5 years of marketing/communications experience; agency or association experience preferred
• Experience editing and updating content in an enterprise-level Content Management System (CMS)
• 1-2 years social media and web applications experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Expert level skills in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word
• Strong writing, editing, proofreading and project management skills
• Effective at interacting (typically on the phone or via email) with news sources and other stakeholders
• Creative, some graphic design experience helpful
• Ability to write in a wide array of styles — short writing for the internet, formal writing for
reports and materials for internal consumption, as well as news-style writing for press releases
(knowledge of AP Style required)
• Experience in planning, scheduling and managing timelines for multiples campaigns and projects.
• Excellent organizational, problem solving, customer service and verbal/written communication skills
• Interest in higher education policy, operations and nonprofit organizations
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee
frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; reach with hands and
arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
Occasional travel including overnight stays may be required.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those
an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work
environment is usually quiet.
ABET CORE VALUES
The Specialist, Communications & Content will embody the ABET Core Values by respecting the
contributions provided by her/his co-workers, ABET Experts and customers. The values we embrace:
• Authentic – My actions will reflect the respect I have for the professional relationships we
have developed. I will balance my objectives with sensitivity for others while instilling trust in those with whom I work.
• Business-Like – I will conduct myself professionally at all times, while committing to
delivering world-class results and satisfying experiences — both inside our organization
andwhile interacting with our external stakeholders.
• Expert – I will demonstrate expertise in my area of responsibility, constantly challenging
myself to learn more while applying those lessons learned to improving the efficiency and
impact of our organization. I am also committed to taking advantage of the opportunities
ABET provides me to refine my expertise and help further my professional development. I will
seek out and participate in assignments that I am qualified by education and experience and
will rely on the expertise of my peers in the areas outside of my own.
• Targeted – I will focus my efforts on specific objectives that will enable me to deliver results to
create a positive impact to further ABET’s core purpose.
To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter and a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2021-07-23