Specialist, Communications and Public Relations
At The Mission Continues, we empower veterans to continue their service and empower communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. We’re investing in veterans, equipping them with the tools and resources to lead a growing veteran volunteer movement. Through networks, training, and pathways, veterans can continue to serve while creating meaningful impact in under-resourced communities.
The Specialist, Communications and Public Relations will lead The Mission Continues’ external content creation and public relations activities. This position will report to the Senior Director, Communications and has the potential to manage vendors, staff or intern duties. In this role, you will manage and execute a coordinated national and local media strategy in support of the organization’s strategic plan. You will draft and distribute targeted press releases and media advisories. You will create, edit and proofread internal and external communications, program communications, and development communications. Your expertise in public relations will also ensure you can train and empower TMC staff and program members to serve as spokespeople and brand ambassadors in communities nationwide. Ultimately, you will help shape and manage our program members’, partners’, and supporters’ experiences and impact with The Mission Continues.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to design and execute external communications strategies that increase awareness of The Mission Continues among target audiences
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with traditional and online media contacts, influencers and thought leaders
- Draft talking points, press releases and media advisories
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests; fielding calls from media as they come in and monitoring inquiries at every stage, ensuring they are sourced to the right person for response and follow up
- Manage and recommend updates to organization’s brand guidelines and approve brand requests
- Manage and update suite of communications collateral and public speaking training that empowers staff and volunteers to serve as organizational ambassadors
- Serve as subject matter expert in communications, and provide training to staff and volunteers in media outreach, storytelling, public speaking, and more
- Monitor and evaluate communications activities and share results with leadership and internal audiences
Who We Are Looking For
- 4 to 6 years of relevant work experience or combination of education and work experience
- Experience in public relations with increasing levels of responsibility in media outreach
- Excellent writing, copy-writing and editing skills to craft stories that meet audience needs
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously
- A self-starter with the initiative to manage projects from concept to completion
- Ideally has experience with Cision PRWeb and Adobe Creative Suite
- You are a courageous leader and a culture add. You lead and listen with empathy and put the people you serve at the center of the work. You are an advocate for a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. You bring a unique skill set developed from diverse experience and are willing to share your expertise and perspective with the team.
- Familiarity with various communications platforms to include Salesforce, Pardot, Adobe Creative Suite, Basecamp, etc.
- Previous agency experience in public relations or public affairs.
Multi-day and/or weekend travel will be required on program event dates, which occurs on weekends at 8-week intervals throughout the year. Flex time is available. Other weekend work may be required to support the communications team as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. If you require a reasonable accommodation in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caitlin Zbikowski, Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding at email@example.com.
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! The Mission Continues recognizes that diverse employees, veterans and supporters are critical to our workforce and mission. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all team members are valued and have the opportunity to reach their full potential. We want a team that reflects our diversity, so that we can approach every mission with integrity, compassion and authenticity. Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all team members. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.
Job posted: 2021-01-28