Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Specialist, Congressional Lobbyist
Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for the American Physical Therapy Association!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our team supports the association’s mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society.
- Engages in Congressional lobbying related to respective activities of the Government Affairs department which align with organizational priorities and the Association’s public engagement strategy.
- Prepares and completes required departmental compliance forms as outlined below including ensuring required information is accurate for timely submission of all required forms.
- Contributes to and implements recommendations on advancing operations within the department to gain efficiencies, and grow revenue, if applicable.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in department activities, including supporting the vice president, and unit leader in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above.
- Supports the Public Affairs team in the implementation of the Association’s programs, priorities, and projects in partnership with department director and staff colleagues.
- Prepares in consultation with the vice president, department level data which supports and aligns with the APTA data strategy.
- Upholds and fosters team values.
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of association priorities.
- Degree in political science, government, public policy or a related field preferred.
- Preferably 3+ years Hill experience working on health care issues.
- Specific knowledge in health care issues such as patient access, workforce, or provider payment policies preferred.
- Background demonstrating substantial familiarity with the U.S. Congress and experience in formulating and advancing federal legislative policy.
- Understanding of federal programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, etc. is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strategic relationships with Congressional offices.
- Strong presentation/public speaking and professional writing skills.
- Ability to represent Association and present to a variety of external audiences and stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- 20% – Local.
APTA’s outstanding benefits include generous annual vacation and sick leave, federal paid holidays, retirement contributions, and commuting subsidies for employees who choose public transit and active transportation.
APTA’s headquarters are located across the street from the new Potomac Yard Metrorail station set to open in October 2022, with immediate access to the DMV’s bike trail system. Opened in 2021, APTA Centennial Center’s amenities include a fitness center, bike share, and health and wellness classes—all free to APTA employees. A WiFi-connected rooftop terrace offers views of the Potomac River and Washington, D.C. skyline, offering a great alternate work location or place to take a break.
Most staff positions are eligible for APTA’s flexible work arrangement schedule. New hires must be employed three full consecutive months before being eligible to apply for a flexible work arrangement.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Principals only: no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.
Job posted: 2022-06-19