Specialist, Federal Government Relations–Central America Migration
The Specialist, Federal Government Relations (GR), Central American Migration (CAM) will work on the federal CAM issue portfolio to advance legislative initiatives that address the issues children face at the U.S. southern border. They will work with the Senior Director of Political and Public Affairs and in coordination with the Director of Federal Government Relations to research and develop materials for use in outreach on SCAN’s CAM priorities. The Specialist will assist with outreach at the federal level with the Hill, Administration and organizations that align with SCAN’s CAM priorities. The Specialist will assist the Director of Government Relations with implementing legislative strategy and initiatives. They will work closely with other SCAN departments and Save the Children’s United States Programs & Advocacy (USPA).
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
• Coordinate CAM Issue Portfolio (35%)- The Specialist will work on the CAM federal issue portfolio to ensure that initiatives are developed, coordinated, and accomplished in a timely manner. They will carry out legislative strategies under the direction of the Director of GR to advance SCAN priorities. The Specialist will be the liaison to other interested advocacy partners and coalitions.
• Assist with External Relationships (25%)- The Specialist, under supervision of the Senior Director, Political and Public Affairs, will assist with developing and maintaining bipartisan and bicameral relationships on Capitol Hill with a focus on key committees of jurisdiction and members in leadership. This also includes relationships with federal agencies and the immigration advocacy community.
• Develop Advocacy & Educational Materials (25%)- The Specialist will work with the Director, Federal Government Relations, to research and develop educational materials to provide to our congressional targets and the Administration on CAM legislative policy. This also includes developing materials including one-pagers, action alerts, and other documents.
• Internal Coordination with SCAN & USPA (15%)- The Specialist will work closely with the Director of Government Relations and other SCAN and Save the Children departments to ensure federal strategy is coordinated and appropriately aligned. They will work with other departments to develop outreach materials to generate grassroots and grass-tops support for influencing federal policy.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in area of expertise
• High School or Technical/Vocational Degree
• A working understanding of federal government operations and the legislative process
• Comfortable with public speaking
• Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
• Team-player with excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
• Ability to use Microsoft Office software
• Highly professional, motivated, energetic and well organized
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize a number of ongoing projects
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field
• Experience working in or with Congressional offices
• Experience working in coalition
• Experience working on immigration and/or child protection issues
What’s In It for You
• Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
• Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
• Vision Insurance
• Life insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Commuter Benefit Program
• Vacation and Sick leave
• Paid holidays
What makes us special!
• Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
• Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
• Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
• Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
• Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
• Summer Fun Fridays – During the summer months, early release at 1:30 pm every other Friday!
• Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
• Ergonomic Options – Every employee at our HQ offices has the option of a sitting/standing desk
• Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
• Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
• Language learning opportunities
• Continuous Improvement skill development programs
• Brown Bag information sharing sessions
• Work hard/Play hard! We make sure there’s ample opportunity for fun, engagement, and celebration while you work, such as networking events, March Madness, World Cup, Dodgeball Tournaments, Take Your Child to Work Day, Founder’s Day, and our annual Day of Service
Save the Children Action Network is the political voice for kids. We believe that every child deserves the best start in life. As the political advocacy arm of Save the Children, we’re building bipartisan will and voter support to make sure every child in the U.S. has access to high-quality early learning and that no mother or child around the globe dies from a preventable disease or illness. By investing in kids and holding leaders accountable, we are helping kids from birth to age five survive and thrive.
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-06-18