Specialist, Federal Policy & Advocacy
Empowered by our expansive grassroots network, Komen is leading the fight for those impacted by breast cancer in Washington, D.C. Komen works to identify, through a transparent and broad-based, intensive vetting and selection process, the advocacy issues that have the greatest potential impact on Komen’s mission. The Specialist will assist in the development of strategy and execution of federal public policy and advocacy initiatives related to breast health, breast cancer and public health, working towards achieving Komen’s Bold Goal; ensure thorough and accurate federal legislative and regulatory tracking; assist in building relationships with federal legislators and their staff; monitor the federal budget climate for impacts on breast health programs and research and provides reports; coordinate and provide robust administrative and project management support for advocacy events held in our Nation’s capital.
Assists in the development and implementation of federal policy strategy advancing Komen’s public policy and advocacy priorities to achieve long-term systemic change through advocacy.
• Researches and tracks current and emerging federal issues, budgets, programs and legislation that affect Komen, its constituents and the cancer community.
• Assists in developing messaging and resource materials for federal priority policy issues (e.g. toolkits, talking points, fact sheets, letters, action alerts).
• Assists in coordinating relationships with members of Congress and their staffs, to establish open two-way communications that advance Komen’s goals.
• Identifies opportunities to builds relationships with the Congressional Black Caucus, Hispanic Caucus, Asian Pacific Islander Caucus, Cancer Caucus/Cancer Coalition, etc.
• Identifies, attends and reports back on relevant committee and commission hearings.
• Serves as liaison with other cancer organizations, attending various meetings and preparing reports to ensure the Director, consultants, and other Komen staff are kept informed.
• Assists in maintaining and developing relationships with key partners, and maintains Komen’s federal relationship database.
• Identifies Members and staff with connections to cancer — either personal or family connections or relevant concerns in their districts (e.g., cancer hospitals, uninsured rates, disparities).
Coordinates and provides robust administrative and project management support for Komen’s federal Public Policy & Advocacy events in our Nation’s capital
• Coordinate with Public Policy & Advocacy team to schedule, prepare for and execute in-district meetings and site visits.
• Coordinate and schedule briefings with legislative members and their staff.
• Assists with the planning and execution of Komen’s annual Advocacy Summit.
• Prepares production schedules to ensure tasks are assigned, milestones are reached, and deadlines are met.
• Prepares event documents, reports and presentations using advanced PowerPoint and word processing skills.
• Processes invoices, travel expense reimbursements, and other provides other administrative support to mission leadership and meeting guests.
• Supports the meetings department in organizing catering, A/V needs, group meals and/or transportation.
• Provides administrative and logistical support for other department meetings, projects, and programs.
Assists with Komen’s regulatory efforts in coordination with Director and federal consultants.
• Monitors the Federal Register and agency releases, analyzes opportunities for Komen to submit written comments or provide verbal comments on topics impacting those touched by breast cancer.
• Manage internal review process and timelines for regulatory deliverables.
• Assists in maintaining and building relationships with regulatory agencies.
Manages federal lobbying compliance and contracts.
• Assist with federal lobbying compliance reporting and lobbyist registrations.
• Prepares data to be used in the annual 990 filing.
• Assist the Director in the administration of contracts and agreements in support of Komen’s external consulting efforts; facilitate implementation of contractual requirements and financial obligations.
All other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience Required
- Bachelors degree in public policy, public administration, political science, government affairs or related field
- 1-2 years experience in the area of public policy, public health policy or in a health care policy role
- Solid understanding of legislative process and health care issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Health care policy background
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or within a federal health agency
Specialized Knowledge Requirements
- Specific knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Job posted: 2019-07-03