Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Specialist, Grassroots Advocacy
The American Academy of Dermatology is seeking a Specialist, Grassroots Advocacy located in our D.C. office responsible for managing day-to-day operations of the AADA’s membership advocacy and grassroots program to enable member involvement in advancing the AADA’s advocacy agenda and policy priorities to strengthen the specialty. Collaborate with relevant Advocacy & Policy staff on the planning, and execution of advocacy meetings. Collaborate with fellow AADA and Academy staff in outreach and relationship building with state dermatology societies, other dermatology societies and patient advocacy community to strengthen collaborative advocacy efforts.
The American Academy of Dermatology (Academy), founded in 1938, is the largest, most influential, and most representative of all dermatologic associations. A sister organization to the Academy, the American Academy of Dermatology Association is the resource for government affairs, health policy and practice information for dermatologists, and plays a major role in formulating policies that can enhance the quality of dermatologic care.
With a membership of more than 20,600 physicians worldwide, the Academy is committed to: advancing the diagnosis and medical, surgical, and cosmetic treatment of the skin, hair, and nails; advocating high standards in clinical practice, education, and research in dermatology; and supporting and enhancing patient care for a lifetime of healthier skin.
To learn more about the Academy please visit our website at www.aad.org, or follow us on these social media outlets:
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/aadskin)
- Twitter (www.twitter.com/AADskin)
- Pinterest (www.pinterest.com/AADskin)
- Instagram (www.instagram.com/aadskin1)
- Work with the Assistant Director, Congressional Policy and Grassroots Advocacy to oversee and coordinate the membership advocacy program. Directly interact with dermatologist-members and partners to identify individuals and groups that can bolster direct advocacy. Partner with AAD/A staff to educate, organize and activate members into a grassroots advocacy network.
- Manage the advocate databases including regular updates to the AADA Grassroots Action Center (takeaction.aad.org), to create and disseminate legislative, regulatory, payer, and state grassroots calls to action. Serve as point of contact for software vendor(s) for grassroots program.
- Work with advocacy and policy staff to coordinate members’ advocacy across public policy areas and in various advocacy activities. Coordinate and assist with grassroots recruitment and training as needed.
- Manage operations for member-advocacy-events, including the annual AADA Legislative Conference. In addition, serve as the member-facing conduit for coordinating participation in these events. Work with team to craft written materials, coordinate the agenda securing speakers, selection of meeting space and execution of the program on day-of events.
- Work with the Assistant Director, Congressional Policy and Grassroots Advocacy, to support Grassroots Advocacy Task Force, including scheduling and planning meetings, preparing agendas and background materials, creating summation reports, and following up on action items. Coordinate the nomination process, selection, and presentation of the AADA Advocate of the Year Award.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Prefer 1-2 years’ experience, working or interning on Capitol Hill, on a campaign, for a law firm or in an association, providing project coordination, member management, and/or event planning.
- A strong desire to learn on the job about direct advocacy and practical politics. Strong presentation, organizational, and event planning skills are required.
- The ability to foster involvement and enthusiasm among members is crucial. The position requires creativity, energy, and resourcefulness.
- Some travel and work outside normal business hours required.
We offer a competitive compensation plan and benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life insurance as well as a matching retirement contribution, tuition reimbursement, bonus program, pension plan, paid vacation/medical/personal days, work-life balance, recognition program and casual work environment.
Vaccination Requirements: COVID vaccine is required due to essential functions of this role. Please review our vaccination policy for more details.
Job posted: 2022-07-11