Specialist, Local Government and Community Affairs
The Local Government & Community Affairs Specialist will be a key contributor to the multi-disciplinary Government Affairs & Philanthropy team. Under supervision of the Local Government & Community Affairs Supervisor, will assist with the company’s local community relations, non-profit stakeholders and employee engagement and public outreach in southwest Louisiana and southeast Texas. This is a non-DOT position.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Specific duties will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Act as cultural change agent to effectively communicate message around company giving philosophy to both internal and external stakeholders
- Serve as liaison to internal and external stakeholders regarding corporate philanthropy and events,
- Maintain repository of community giving requests and status
- Filter inbound requests through strategic internal giving framework
- Conduct Sabine Pass Cheniere Community Council meetings to drive community and employee engagement recommendations and includes drafting meeting notes, action items and recaps
- Effectively manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders regarding community giving requests when communicating approvals, declines, pending, and re-direction to matching gifts program as appropriate
- Monthly reporting of community giving commitments with identification of tie to business objectives, summarized by giving type, geographical location, connection to key stakeholders, and volunteer hours
- Conduct post community giving analytics to ensure effective and efficient utilization of investments and alignment with strategic initiatives
- Publish Sabine Pass Community giving activities on Cheniere Foundation Intranet site on the Cheniere HUB
- Collaborate with the Communications Team to establish communications plan for internal and external stakeholders, along with introducing media connections when appropriate
- Accountable for coordinating local community giving activities, including event planning, volunteer recruitment and efficient spend
- Ensure all community giving activities are conducted to the highest standards and adhere to all company policies and compliance requirements
- Responsible for vendor set up and invoice submissions
- Identify local opportunities for community investment and outreach
- Monitor and report on local competitor community giving activity and trends for relevance to the company and associated analytics to inform community giving decisions
- “Eyes and ears” on the ground in the local community, raising community concerns in a timely fashion as it relates to philanthropy engagement
- Monitor local media coverage of community giving including tv, print and social and bring to the attention of the appropriate Cheniere stakeholders
- Build strong relationships with the company’s key internal stakeholders, working proactively to keep them well-informed and to develop creative solutions to business objectives
- Representing Cheniere at public functions as needed
- Work with the Communications & Events Team for all branding related items for community investment events, such as invitations and other printed materials, while utilizing preferred collateral vendor
- Engage with local government officials as directed and support external stakeholder outreach.
- Help maintain the SPL stakeholder management plan, documenting significant engagements, requesting talking points from communications and providing the talking points to SPL SLT teams as appropriate
- In order to successfully achieve job duties, on average 25% travel is expected in southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana but can flex based on needs. Limited overnight travel
- Assist with Corporate Community giving events, as needed
- Assist with other projects, as needed
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time; or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
Knowledge of corporate philanthropic methodology. In-depth knowledge of office protocol, document control and handling procedures and typical computer document management applications are required. This position has a broad understanding of the company’s organization, functions, roles and responsibilities. Basic knowledge of local government structure in both Louisiana and Texas, at and below the Parish/County level.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS)
- High school diploma required with 5+ years of experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred with 5 years’ experience in public affairs, communications, community relations or local government required
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of the business and political climate and issues in the areas where the company operates
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with a team and prioritize multiple work streams concurrently
- Must have advanced skills in MS Office and Windows and the ability to learn new software and applications
- SharePoint administration capabilities a plus
- Excellent listening skills
- Polished conflict resolution
- Exceptional influencer skills
- Comfortable with declining requests
- Solid budget management expertise
- Collaborative, inclusive and transparent in all dealings
- Flexible to adapt to changing environments
- Ability to align community investments with business needs
- Diplomatic and professional Cheniere Ambassador
- Capability to build strong, balanced relationships
- Curious with a desire to continuously learn
- Detail oriented
- Preference for local permanent residency and native to community
FREEDOM TO ACT
Individual will have professional discretion and will seek direction from senior management as required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Occasionally after normal work hours or on weekends.
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee’s performance due to physical, mental or emotional disability.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Cheniere Energy is an equal opportunity workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation if requested for disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-11