Specialist, Media Affairs
The Communication Department is responsible for informing all of SHRM’s audiences on SHRM’s thought leadership, mission and activities in a positive, consistent and credible manner. The Communication Department is also responsible for publicly protecting and defending SHRM’s reputation and brand. Typically, this means working directly with news organizations and journalists responsible for producing the news and features in mass media. In other instances, it means utilizes social media to exchange information about SHRM directly with the press, key audiences and influencers. The Communication Department encompasses Brand, Media Relations, Social Media Engagement and Corporate Communications. The collective team engages in a variety of work related to managing SHRM’s reputation and brand image among SHRM’s members as well as elevating the reputation to business leaders and policy makers on a broader, global scale.
Under the leadership of the Chief Marketing & Experience Officer, we strive for organizational, professional and personal success and create opportunities for continued learning and development in a culture of transparency, respect, collaboration, creativity, flexibility, innovation, and fiscal responsibility—always with our members’ interests and organizational values in mind.
The Specialist of Media Affairs leverages earned media to position SHRM as the voice of all things work. This position is responsible for achievement of assigned goals and business objectives that coincide with the goals and business objectives of SHRM via thought leadership, executive visibility and brand reputation in media.
- Works collaboratively on the development and execution of media relations campaigns.
- Monitors media landscape and flags relevant news stories.
- Identifies pitching opportunities for SHRM.
- Develops and publishes weekly news clips.
- Monitors, tracks and reports on SHRM media coverage using analytics platform to measure impressions, share of voice, reach and tone of the brand.
- Maintains and updates media lists and database.
- Engages with broadcast, print and online members of the media with some direction.
- Writes and/or edits media releases and media content.
- Coordinates and executes media mailings.
- Provides general support across the communications department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field.
- 3 years of relevant experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent writing, grammar, proofreading and editing skills.
- Strong command of AP style.
- Project management & organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask with a collaborative team.
- Ability to prioritize and adhere to deadlines.
- Hands on, high energy and highly responsive.
- Collaborative team player.
- Ambitious and able to work under pressure.
- Media savvy, proactive in pitching and engaging members of the media, a strong writer and project manager.
Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, file, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Light lifting is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. This job requires occasional travel 0-10%.
Learn more here
The Society for Human Resource Management is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
Job posted: 2020-06-01