Specialist, Policy Communications
Basic Function of the Position: Contribute to the development and execution of communications strategies and tactics that advance the organization’s policy goals including earned and digital media efforts, grassroots mobilization, messaging development and project management.
Critical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work cross functionally with the Marketing and Communications team and Government and Legislative Affairs team to pitch and promote CTA policy initiatives, activities and public policy positions through relationships with media outlets.
• Perform core media relations functions including: develop materials such as messaging documents, media releases and digital/video content; react to breaking news situations and plan for long-lead stories; respond to media inquiries and maintain media lists.
• Collaborate with internal staff to boost dedicated social media focus to highlight advocacy efforts, policy and organizational priorities and engage grassroots contacts.
• Develop digital messaging framework, positioning and appeals based on target audience personas to engage key influencers.
• Help identify potential stories from a variety of angles and understand how and when to use print, broadcast and/or other media to best advantage.
• Serve as project manager on CTA’s annual Innovation Scorecards.
• Integrate innovative partnerships and help identify tools and technology to further bolster CTA’s advocacy efforts.
• Help manage outside vendors and budgets.
• Staff interviews with CTA experts and executives and, when appropriate and as directed, serve as CTA/CES spokesperson.
• Other duties as required by business needs.
• 3-5 years’ experience in communications and/or digital advocacy.
• Strong preference given to Capitol Hill and/or agency experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree (Communications, Political Science, English or Journalism concentration preferred).
• Strong writing capabilities.
• Comfort with social media writing and engagement.
• Understanding of legislative process and overall political landscape.
• Ability to multitask across departments and teams with competing deadlines.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products; social and earned media monitoring tools, experience in HTML, member management and advocacy software.
Budget and Staff:
• Help monitor department budget.
• Manage contracts and subscriptions.
• Position reports to Director, Policy Communications.
• Travel to CES is required; may involve other occasional travel.
• This is a exempt position.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-01-17