Specialist, Public Policy & Advocacy
The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) is a professional membership organization that works to promote high-quality early learning for all young children, birth through age 8, by connecting early childhood practice, policy, and research. NAEYC advances a diverse, dynamic early childhood profession and supports all who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children.
NAEYC seeks a Specialist for Public Policy & Advocacy to be responsible for a wide range of efforts including project management, policy research and analysis, organizing a public policy forum, facilitating trainings, managing public and social media efforts, implementing NAEYC’s grassroots (membership and affiliates) advocacy activation, and providing policy/advocacy technical assistance for National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) affiliates.
The Public Policy and Advocacy Specialist is a central member of the policy and advocacy team and is responsible for implementing and supporting federal and state policy and advocacy initiatives. The position will also be responsible for conceptualizing and developing initiatives related to political campaigns at national and local levels.
Major Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Conducts research and analysis of federal and state policy
• Translates complex policy issues into easy to understand grassroots advocacy tools
• Provides constituent support to members and affiliates related to policy and advocacy
• Serves as the primary NAEYC representative with various early childhood and higher education coalitions
• Maintains a working knowledge of all early childhood policy trends
• Oversees Children’s Champions including content, technical functionality and list management
• Serves as the primary liaison to social media team.
• Collaborates with other NAEYC departments to increase the visibility of key NAEYC programs and products
• Functions in a manner that contributes to a healthy organizational culture with particular focus on shared leadership, innovation, accountability, and data-informed decision making
• Provides project management and administrative support for public policy and advocacy projects
• Maintains the policy and advocacy content on the NAEYC website
• Organizes the annual public policy forum including logistics, materials, liaising with conference/event staff, speaker arrangements and Day on the Hill (Congressional visits)
• Provides advocacy resources and tools to support affiliate capacity building
• Supports electoral advocacy initiatives
This position reports to the Senior Director, Public Policy & Advocacy.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
• Baccalaureate degree required.
• Must have policy and advocacy experience.
• Strong communication skills, with an emphasis on concise policy-oriented writing, analysis and constituency building, are essential.
• Early childhood policy content knowledge preferred.
How to Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
Job posted: 2021-07-20