Sr Advisor-Federal Gov’t Affairs
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
At Lilly, we serve an extraordinary purpose. We make a difference for people around the global by discovering, developing and delivering medicines that help them live longer, healthier, more active lives. Not only do we deliver breakthrough medications, but you also can count on us to develop creative solutions to support communities through philanthropy and volunteerism.
The Senior Advisor (Director) of Federal Affairs is responsible for supporting the company’s strategic, tactical, administration and political objectives. In formulating and implementing a successful government affairs program for the company, the individual will be expected to work effectively with senior officers of the company. He/She will be responsible for managing a portfolio of policy issues and must have the necessary skills to build strong working relationships with each of Lilly’s business units and all components of the corporate affairs functions (state government affairs, legal, communications, and public policy. The individual will be an active participant in the government affairs team. This position will also require the individual to interact personally with federal elected and appointed officials and their senior staff. It is preferable that the person has a comprehensive knowledge of the pharmaceutical and health care industries and the myriad inter-relationships between companies and related trade associations. He/She will actively engage with and lead PhRMA and BIO efforts on key issues important to the company and will be reviewed as a respected leader in the industry. The individual will also be responsible for hiring and managing consultants to support the company’s policy priorities. The position will report to the Vice President of Global Government Affairs.
- Post Graduate Degree Preferred
- Bachelors Degree in liberal arts, political science or related fields
- 8-12 years of experience as a government relations executive, a Congressional staffer or as a senior public servant in a relevant government department or agency or business.
- At least 10 years of legislative, regulatory and lobbying experience at the federal level.
- Successful track record in accomplishing major legislative policy and public relations agenda of similar size and complexity.
- Knowledge and understanding of government-funded health care programs public policy issues is preferred, as is expertise working in a state legislature or on a Governors’ staff.
- Detailed understanding of legislative and regulatory processes, and how they impact and benefit Lilly.
- Ability to quickly learn the details of, and grasp and address, the healthcare issues that face Lilly, specifically Medicare, Medicaid, Commercial Health Insurance and others: be able to frame ideas/issues to key government stakeholders.
- Experience developing and implementing a consistent government affairs strategy, including short and long term goals and establishing methods of measuring the plan’s impact on and contribution to the company.
- A detailed understanding of US Congressional and Cabinet policy-making processes, including an understanding of the roles and decision points in the Executive agencies, White House, the Senate and the House, as well as the role of think tanks and associations.
- The ability to analyze issues, formulate arguments and persuasively and crisply communicate complex concepts and programs at the highest level of government.
- A keen sense of political discernment, with the ability to identify and influence the critical legislators, mobilize allies and develop and maintain relationships with key people and organizations.
- The ability to prioritize and anticipate emerging issues, and in-turn balance competing issues and direct resources accordingly.
- Experience building coalitions, developing and leveraging networks, and coordinating strategies.
- Strategic thinking skills and the ability to develop a vision of where Lilly should go.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- A clear reputation for ethical conduct.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and evolving environment and to be decisive. Ability to adapt to Lilly’s style of relationship prioritization and management.
- Reputation for being energetic, bright, hard-working, enthusiastic; willing to offer opinions and judgements.
- Reputation for being a thought-partner: proactive and able to develop new and creative ideas. Proven to be a self-starter and results-oriented.
- An exemplary performance record.
- Strong people skills and a reputation for being a team player. A keen sense of protocol.
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively with top level government officials of either side of the political spectrum.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID R-3088.
Job posted: 2020-09-05