Sr Area Manager Local Government Affairs
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Manage effective working relationships with the municipalities, counties, and related key community organizations in the Company’s most densely populated and strongest customer concentrated municipalities and counties to: enhance the Company’s image; obtain / retain our franchise agreements; increase throughput by assisting in local economic vitality; and protect the Company’s operational assets within the community; community and economic development; and public affairs. Ombudsman for resolving neighborhood-level outage complaints. Work strategically within complex political structures enhancing strategic relationships with various related boards, commissions, committees, councils, coalitions, etc.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with local / county / state governments, keeping them informed of Company work practices, decisions, etc., impacting their communities. Act as executive leadership proxy and build relationships with assigned communities through proactive professional contact with elected officials, community leaders, city officials and county boards. Maintain a comprehensive understanding of local issues, responding with urgency to community requests and concerns. Lead Company’s decision-making process on controversial community issues.
- Protect Company critical business interests. Initiate, negotiate and obtain, and ensure implementation of gas and/or electric franchise agreements and facilitate process for obtaining complex project permit approvals, buy understanding and communicating potential impacts of proposed and enacted regulations. Keep community officials and leaders informed of critical industry issues, Company policies and emergency situations. Monitor and deter competitive service threats, i.e. municipalization, challenges to the regulatory compact, etc.
- Ensure Company participation in key community-based organizations and initiatives. Manage Company financial support for key community organizations. Manage discretionary contributions program for assigned area and provide input to corporate contributions.
- Ombudsman for resolving neighborhood-level outage complaints. Lead resolution of community/neighborhood outage concerns and work with Company departments to ensure timely restoration. Provide regular internal communications about community interaction regarding ongoing investigations or work plans, as appropriate.
- Enhance Company growth opportunities and disseminate materials related to changes to the community. Provide leadership and support to state, regional and local community economic development and community development initiatives and organizations; initiating and supporting Company Economic Development projects and programs. Promote sales of Company programs/services/products.
- This position will require traveling within the city and county.
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this position may require to temporarily work remote within Xcel’s service territory until company protocol dictates the criteria have been met to return to the office. A plan has been created to officially institute a hybrid work-from-home option that will take effect when it is safe to return to the workplace. The position will participate in this new policy. Eligible candidates must therefore live within a commutable distance from our corporate office in downtown Denver, CO (1800 Larimer).
- College degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- 8-10 years of proven strategic relationship cultivation and management experience.
- Project management experience required.
- Understanding of Company policies, procedures, and functions desirable.
- Very strong interpersonal skills are critical.
- Ability to work with complex issues in a public setting.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Must be willing to work non-traditional hours to attend council meetings, etc.
- Bilingual (Spanish) highly preferred
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO – Denver || CO – Denver || United States (US) || Public Service Company || 40025:Community Svc and Econ Dvlpmnt || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $100,000 to $142,000 per year
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 37804
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
Job posted: 2021-11-03